Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
The Student
1,214 Posts
Anyone care to point me in the direction of a guide to understand how all that works and such. Im trying to figure it all out looking at the pics and Im just getting lost. I really need to do my transmission homework

·
Registered
715 Posts
Manual transmissions are pretty simple once you understand them. This would not be a good transmission to learn on for a couple of reasons; 1.) they're expensive 2.) not the easiest to find and 3.) is the most complex manual transmission I've ever been into.

·
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Manual transmissions are pretty simple once you understand them. This would not be a good transmission to learn on for a couple of reasons; 1.) they're expensive 2.) not the easiest to find and 3.) is the most complex manual transmission I've ever been into.
Actually this was my first attempt and I knew nothing of how they actually worked. I had a general idea of what synchros did and what not but didn't really know how it all came together. Once I opened it up and saw how each piece of the puzzle fit I'd aggree, they are really "simple". Obviously there is a lot of engineering I don't understand but for the most part I think I have a pretty good handle on it now.

Toni I am going to sticky this thread as alot of ppl ask for stuff like this.

Coop
Cool, I made my first sticky icky!

-Antoni

·
Registered
489 Posts
is there anyway you could do say a step by step with the pics of what your doing and circle what bolt or nut or gear your working on?

·
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there anyway you could do say a step by step with the pics of what your doing and circle what bolt or nut or gear your working on?
There is a more in depth tranny disassembly guide here.

Transmission Rebuild 5-spd AWD Getrag - 3SI Wiki

It doesn't include shaft disassembly. A step by step guide is something I'd like to do at some point but honestly if you can't do it from the pics and a manual alone then you probably shouldn't be trying to do it yourself. There are many steps involved and I just need to find some time to do it.

-Antoni

·
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My hosting server has changed so all the links are dead and I can't edit the pictures. Here is a link to all the pictures.

Album: trannyrebuild

·
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They sit between the slider pictured there and the hub. Here is a pic of them, they are popped out in this picture but this is where they would go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is this a W5MG1? I have a 92 stealth r/t tt and the 3rd gear syncronizer is starting to go out. I am an ASE certified master and level 2 mopar tech so ive been in some manual trans (however usually they are autos) my question being i have a service manual for this trans and it calls for a special tool to separate the main and countershafts from the rear case half? is this tool a must have and also did you dissassemble the main and countershafts to do the syncros and blocking rings ect?

·
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For anyone that was looking for the pictures, all the broken links have been fixed in this pictures series.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts