Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
See that brass 'ring' on the back of the xfer case? Mine is currently sitting on a shelf in the garage. Damn dealer wanted $350 to put it back on.

G

·
aww shucks

that aint nuthin....

the one on the bottom got a crack, leaked out all its blood and ground gears like a pepper grinder. She froze up once i stopped. The top one literally blew apart and dropped off the car. When that one went it also took a chunk out of my transmission. so I need to replace both this time. THESE CARS SUCK. THEY SUCK!THEY SUCK!THEY SUCK!

http://www.3si.org/upload/2_deadcases.jpg

· Registered
1,237 Posts
dude, OUCH!

time to call kormex ..

· Puts Out On 1st Date !
21 Charger Scat Pack Widebody
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jse: It's not that the cars suck. They just cost a TON to keep on the road.

Kalla: Kormex has been called. New "rebuilt" transfer case will be here Wednesday morning.

Phil - '92 VR4

· Registered
1,237 Posts
Cool .. I just installed a tranny and transfer case from kormex last week .. my transfer case was leaking a lot, I got tired of getting under it to see how much it had leaked.
I would drive it for two weeks, and no leak, and then sometimes I'd walk out to drive it, and there would be a wet spot of fluid under it .. frustrating.

· Puts Out On 1st Date !
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I'd have to agree that at times these cars can be frustrating. Some days I get so upset I just want to drive it off a cliff. Lucky for me there aren't a lot of cliffs here in Austin.

Phil - '92 VR4

G

·
redvr4

These cars cost a TON to keep on the road because they SUCK.
The transmissions are made of glass, I can name at least 5 people I know who have spun main bearings and had to rebuild the motors with less than 100k miles, (myself included) Take a close look at the posts on this board and how many relate to problems. There are more problems than not. Oh sure, when my car is running I love it. But it has cost me over $1000 a month including the payment to own this car since I bought it last Nov. I was shopping for a used Vette and I totally regret buying this Stealth. I will never reccomend buying one of these cars to anyone and I will never buy another Mitsu product EVER.

92 dodge stealth 82,000 miles,
2nd clutch, 3rd transfer case, 3rd transmission, 2nd motor, This car is not beat on nor neglected. Dont tell me they dont suck. I have owned several performance cars and driven them about the same and cared for them about the same. None has given me as many problems as this car.

· Official 3SI Mouth
4,021 Posts
Now everybody look at JSE's sig. The car's modded. Makes sense that a car is such a piece of shit and you're willing to drop the money to break even more parts.

Something doesn't add up. Don't state that it hasn't been run, and don't state that it's been babied. You do not modify a car to be babied. You also bought the car used- engines do not fail at 82,000 miles, and have to replace two transmissions and transfer cases if the car has not been beat to shit.

You say you've been in the performance game. That means you should know that expensive cars have expensive parts. Cars break being pushed, and you're not admitting to how hard you've pushed it. Hence my cynicism.

Kenneth

· Puts Out On 1st Date !
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only mechanical problem I have had with my car is the output shaft on the tranny had to be replaced and now the transfer case. My car turned 9 years old in August and I am the 3rd owner. This Saturday (the 14th) will be 1 year I have owned this car. I have put almost 21,000 miles on it in this time. I really don't know how the other 2 people drove this car. From the looks of the old output shaft I have some sort of idea how it was "taken care of". I guess what i'm trying to say is that you'll have problems with most cars that are 8 - 10 years old. Ours just cost more to fix. That doesn't necessarily make them pieces of shit. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that's what this post is. MY OPINION !!!!

· Registered
1,237 Posts
It's fairly well accepted that the getrag output shafts aren't hardened well enough. I've heard that they tend to rust and corrode over time and that helps speed them on the way to the grave. When I was having this last tranny put in I had a look at the output shaft on the old one, and it was getting pretty rusted. It can't hurt you to pull the transfer case off once every six months and apply a little grease to the shaft. Kormex' output shafts are supposed to be a lot better.

The previous owner of my car did not drive it hard, but didn't keep it clean, either. I'm spending some time and money fixing the interior. Not as painful as replacing turbos though.

[Edited by kalla on 10-11-2000 at 09:53 AM]

· Puts Out On 1st Date !
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't had to mess with the engine compartment. The guy I bought the car from was a Mitsubishi service "advisor". Him and his 2 Mitsubishi "certified" mechanic buddies took the engine out and completely rebuilt it about 3 months before I bought the car. This engine currently has about 25k on it. It's just to bad they didn't install a new tranny and transfer case while they were doing it.

Phil - '92 VR4 (anxiously awaiting the UPS guy)

3,831 Posts
I've heard a couple of people say that their Kormex parts have failed prematurely. Are these parts not holding up? Don't they have a warranty?

3,831 Posts
Frank,
If I can find those posts again I'll certainly send them your way. Question, how much does it usually cost with labor (I know it varies) etc to get the tranny replaced?
Thanks,

· Puts Out On 1st Date !
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the road again....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D I'm a happy boy. I got the rebuilt Kormex transfer case this morning and put it in. All was fine on the test drive. My baby is on the road again after a 4 day break.

Player~My rebuilt transfer case came with a 90 day warranty from Kormex. Hopefully I won't need to use it (fingers crossed).

Phil ~ '92 VR4 (ROLLIN AGAIN)

[Edited by redvr4 on 10-11-2000 at 01:02 PM]

· Premium Member
3,085 Posts
VR4some said:
RedVR4,

Did you put in the transfer case yourself? If so, how difficult is it?
The transfer case is relatively easy to put on. All you have to do is line up 6 (I think) bolt holes and slide the transfer case on over the output shaft. Tighten up the bolts (17mm?) and you are all set. Reconnect the driveshaft before you attempt to line up the bolt holes so everything is ready to go when you get it lined up. You will probably have to remove the downpipe as well (I do, but I have the ATR downpipe) to get to all of the bolts. Piece of cake.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts