Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a big brake kit and it's not clearing my r6 rims. I've got some ideas for making them clear but IDK if it will be enough. If I went with 18x9 rp03's I could shave to weight and I'd have proper clearance. I just don't know if they will look as good.

I think this pic will work for photoshop

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah idk. I'm sure they would look better in person then my paint pic. Honestly when I bought my first set of r6 rims about 6-7 years ago I wasn't real happy with them. Then they grew on me. Are those rp03's on your spyder? What size did you get? 18x9 5x114.3 with a 40mm offset? My r6 rims are 18x9 w/ 38mm offset so The enkei's would be pulled in 2mm more. That wouldnt be a bad thing though as my wheels stick out slightly past my fenders anyways.

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
I have RP05, 18x8.5 +30mm offset, with my offset they do stick out from the front fender ever so slightly. You will need to hub centric rings though, as the hub bore on the wheels are 75mm vs the 67.1mm. I got some from Motorsport Technology.

Still haven't put on the Tein springs yet LOL.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I ordered the rp03's. I didn't get the SBT finish, I went with just silver. Hopefully they will fit fine. This is what inspired me. I will probally hang onto the radius r6 rims though for a little while. They are probably one of the last mint sets around. I had them shipped overseas a few years ago after tirerack stopped selling them as "modas".

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
Hate to say this, but I don't think they will clear the calipers. With an 9" +40, it's 16mm less than my car. IIRC, there was 10mm clearance between stock calipers and my wheels. Basically what you ordered is the same as a stock wheel (offset wise anyway).

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't say that! It will be close. The stock caliper is 59mm from the inner part of the caliper to the outside edge where it says mitsubishi. These calipers are 51mm. So they don't stick out as far. My radius wheels almost fit. You can see where the spokes curve in early. That's where they rub the top/bottom corners of the caliper. The rp03 rims don't have this big curve. Hopefully the inner diameter of the rim though is wide enough though. I'm so nervous. I figured it would be easier to resell a brand new set of rims instead of just 1 wheel. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So good news and bad news. These rims are out of stock in the US in this color/size combo. The good news is that they are in stock in one of their Japan warehouses, so they are still coming but could take 30-60 days.

I also sent them the caliper template and some close shots of where mine were rubbing on the r6 wheels. Then sent it over to enkei and they printed the templates and checked for me. They said I have chosen the perfect rim for my car. So now I wait. I may throw the stock brakes back on. It depends on how long it takes some control arm bushings to arrive from gzp. Those are backordered.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They came!

With 345mm Airtekk BBK. I would't try their 355mm kit on these in an 18. With a 19 they would fit.

Hopefully I won't have any strut clearence issues. They aren't any closer than my r6 rims. I'm going with 265/35/18 tires, probably the new dunlop direzzas because I like my old z1's.

·
Pay it forward
1,325 Posts
Nice choice of wheels they look great! Nice clean car you have on of my favorites.

·
There will be Blood!
1,235 Posts
You may need to go 255. See if you can get a tire co to test mount a 265 to see before you buy.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
The new wheels look good but my car has now lost its twin :( Let me know if you feel any difference from dropping the extra weight of the R6's. I love them but wish they weighed less. Id buy them again if they made a lighter forged version, lol.

Just did the math.. WOW. Modas are 132lbs , your new wheels are 73lbs.. So 59lbs lighter. Nice job. I assume your new rotors are lighter as well.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I brought the RP03 rims and just love them to bits...
19 x 8.5 with a 245/40 tyre

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Will fit the K-sport 14" brake kit under them :D

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those do look nice! I saw your build thread a while ago when I was considering these rims. I was hopig that since you had 14" ksports with 19" wheel that the 345mm kit would work with 18" wheel.

I ordered some bridgestone sport comp2 265/35/18 tires. They will be here Tuesday from tirerack. I had dunlop direzza star spec z1's on my r6 rims, but they were from 2008. Probably 50% tread left on them but I may use my r6 rims again someday on another vr4 so I figured I'd keep the rubber on them. The direzzas are also 265/35/18 and I had more than 2mm space between strut/tire, so with a 40mm offset vs 38mm offset hopefully they will clear. If not I'll have to get coilovers or something.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts