1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
489 Posts
Does this match our bolt pattern? Are they small enough to fit in the stock location? Are the in and out ports in the correct position to mount up to our stock piping?
They don't say anything about fitment on their website

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
saq said:
Does this match our bolt pattern? Are they small enough to fit in the stock location? Are the in and out ports in the correct position to mount up to our stock piping?
They don't say anything about fitment on their website
I'm assuming that custom headers and intercooler piping are needed as usual. The compressor side appears to be similar in size to TD06, and the exhaust side is 7CM2 just like a TD05. I see some sweet results of GT dual bb turbos on DSM's (fp turbos) and Supras (GT76/72), so why not utilize the latest in our cars?

Here's an example:

http://supraforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87158

·
Registered
489 Posts
hey, you can make anything work if you got enough $$$
people who make custom headers kind of laugh at us and say 'yea right'

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
saq said:
hey, you can make anything work if you got enough $$$
people who make custom headers kind of laugh at us and say 'yea right'
They open the hood, and run away quickly. I'm sure that taking measurements before lifting the engine for a rebuild is a better strategy. Shouldn't cost more than ~$1500 w/ external wastegates for a local machinist to do.

·
Registered
728 Posts
These turbos are no joke. A MR-2 turbo with a pure Garrett GT35 just put down [email protected]/no NOS with more boost to give.

They sound like the latest GT series turbos with smaller compressor and turbine housings, bored out to fit. Pure GT turbos have huge TS04 compressor housings with 4" inlets. That must be why the listed flow ratings seem a little low for each turbo.

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
These are bolt-on for TD05 flanges. I'm pretty sure that means they are the same arrangement (exact turbine housing placement) as any TD05 turbo.

Kinda like a mutt.

When I had a DSM I wanted to be ALL OVER the AGP L1R (with a tubular header and built motor); it sounds like the perfect turbo for that platform. Sounds to me like "too big" for a 3S, but I like cars with LOW RPM full boost and such.

-Chris Wood

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On a 3000GT, the L1R should reach full boost by 3400-3500rpm using a ported head. The kicker is that GT dual ball bearing cartridges allows for building NA-like power BEFORE full boost hits. Traditional big turbos used to "spike" when hitting the efficient spot, which is not good for the street.

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
[h]ardocp_geek said:
On a 3000GT, the L1R should reach full boost by 3400-3500rpm using a ported head. The kicker is that GT dual ball bearing cartridges allows for building NA-like power BEFORE full boost hits. Traditional big turbos used to "spike" when hitting the efficient spot, which is not good for the street.
How do you figure? I'm not saying you are wrong, I just don't know how you figure out boost threshold. An L1R is a big turbo for a 2.0L engine. Two L1Rs are very large for a 3.0L engine.

-Chris Wood

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Multiades said:
How do you figure? I'm not saying you are wrong, I just don't know how you figure out boost threshold. An L1R is a big turbo for a 2.0L engine. Two L1Rs are very large for a 3.0L engine.

-Chris Wood
Each turbo is driven by 1.5L per bank. So I assumed 25% later full boost rpm (22PSI according to AGP), and a ported head + dump pipes would drop it considerably. It's sort of the equivalent of having a 66-70mm bb turbo on a supra I guess.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The L1R's (GT 25 I think) is actual small for a 2.0L engine. When I say small I am not talking about the amount of HP they make. I mean in comparison to the amount of lag you get when jumping up to the GT30.

In the December issue of Turbo magazine they test a Pure GT 30 on their 4G63 Power Options (2.0L DSM turbo engine). A real Garrett GT30 will have much bigger housings and should lag more then the L2R hybrid turbo. This is with factory 1G short block (very low compression), race cams, and Venom sheet metal intake manifold. All of which should increase lag. From looking at the Dyno graphs the HP and Torque curves are just amazing. Looks like it has more power and torque then the stock 14B could ever hope to have at as little as 2000rpm, while making [email protected] 19psi and over 400AWT! I am no expert, so I could be wrong. Just look at the artical yourself. They also said that the GT30 has no lag. This is from the artical, not from me. Basically there would be no benefit to do a L1R (GT25).

I am sure if this is all true the L1R was created for the people that absolutely fear lag and put to much into an actule RPM # (and will pay money because of these #'s). What I think it boils down to is when a turbo starts making boost, how much power it makes at those lower boost rpm levels while having the top end staying power. Just because a small turbo makes more boost at a lower rpm levels dose not mean it is making more power.

·
i don't even know...
2,245 Posts
BigBallerVR4 said:
I am sure if this is all true the L1R was created for the people that absolutely fear lag and put to much into an actule RPM # (and will pay money because of these #'s). What I think it boils down to is when a turbo starts making boost, how much power it makes at those lower boost rpm levels while having the top end staying power. Just because a small turbo makes more boost at a lower rpm levels dose not mean it is making more power.
i.e. just because it isn't pushing a high level of boost at a lower RPM range, that doesn't mean it has no power since the size of the turbo means a large amount of air is flowing, even though it may be at lower boost levels... is that what you're getting at?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Basically. This seems to be the case with the L2R (GT30). I think allot of this is due to the fact that the GT30 has such a broad efficiency range that it makes amazing power at lower boost levels while also doing the same at high boosts levels. If you would of told anyone with a 2.0L four a couple of years ago that there was a turbo with this type of top end power potential while having huge torqe everywhere in the rpm range, they would probably say it was impossible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.