Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· My car is a money pit
3,231 Posts
A lot of pissing in here, and this thread is freaking old. You all confused about the non-mitsu trans comment... Supra's also have Getrag transmissions BTW

We don't drive DSM's... these cars were built in Japan. Lots of differences

· Registered
28 Posts
Before you come in here trolling, accusing a long term member of a forum of not being able to read, you might consider lurking a little longer and getting the lay of the land...

You might also consider boning up on your own reading comprehension before tossing out a link as gospel...

We are all VERY familiar with Jacks page.... You aren't dropping any revelations here. If you actually read it yourself, you would pick up on the fact that it is in reference to MITSUBISHI transmissions. If I look around my shop at the four VR4's, and four RT/TT's I have here at the moment, there is not a single Mitsubishi trans to be found...

But yeah... Maybe you're right, I'M the idiot here... 35 years of building transmissions for a living does make you a little soft in the head....
Wiithout going into all the details. I phoned Jack's and spoke to one that seemed to know what they were doing and someone that was familiar with the FAQ I was referring to. He stood by the statement NOT to use synchromesh in the 6 speed VR4 tranny. I wish someone would explain what the real story is here. I ended up buying 3 quarts of Mitsu Fluid Diaqueen and had it put in over the weekend. The shifting is much smoother and I can actually shift at high revs. In fact when i shift from 1-2 rapidly it seems to be the smoothest way to shift, even the clutch feels better. That's my experience anyway.

· Registered
28 Posts
Doubtful, does the clutch even touch the fluid? I have a dry clutch in my ducati but know nothing about the mitsu clutch, or car clutches at all for that matter. My bike's is a basket clutch with a million plates and rattles like a chainsaw. I wish it were wet actually. I do think the ability to shift at 6000 rpm in the vr4 instead of waiting till it drops back to 2k makes the clutch seem easier to work, likely due to the rpm's not the fluid but I may be wrong. Anyway I thought I would share it.

· Registered
1,425 Posts
ray p runs Pennzoil and recommends it on his tranny rebuilds too
Think what you want. To many people have experienced the same thing and the misinformation about syncromesh came from this very forum. Obviously there is a issue.

Syncromesh is garbage and I'll stick to that. I've had my experience with it and I'll never use it again. I learned in my early days of inexperience with fluid dynamics. Now I run a mixture of shockproof and redline MT fluid. Works great on and off of the track. 10w30 works great as well but once it gets nice and warm it doesn't perform as well as the shockproof mixture.

· Money pit owner.
3,161 Posts

· My car is a money pit
3,231 Posts
You run this --> https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45

plus this--> https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=43

Did I find the correct products? What is your mixture ratio? 50/50?
That is what ga94vr4 said... man, you do you, but I think that combo will suck ass. I didn't have any early days in fluid dynamics as they said they did... I'm just a nobody engineer working in the auto industry, but my past experience says that will shift like shit. I've run the redline MTL in my trans before and it was no good... that combo will be thicker than the MTL alone.

And as VSol said, Ray does recommend sychromesh for his transmission rebuilds. Said the same thing to my face when I picked it up.

· Registered
1,425 Posts
You run this --> https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45

plus this--> https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=43

Did I find the correct products? What is your mixture ratio? 50/50?
I didn't use lightweight. I used heavy weight. 2qts MT90 and .5 shockproof. We did play around with it and found that that worked best for us. Learned about the mixing of the fluids from the Subi guys.

That is what ga94vr4 said... man, you do you, but I think that combo will suck ass. I didn't have any early days in fluid dynamics as they said they did... I'm just a nobody engineer working in the auto industry, but my past experience says that will shift like shit. I've run the redline MTL in my trans before and it was no good... that combo will be thicker than the MTL alone.

And as VSol said, Ray does recommend sychromesh for his transmission rebuilds. Said the same thing to my face when I picked it up.

What kind of engineer are you? If you're going to tout your position then enlighten us. I'm no engineer but it doesn't take an engineer to see the evidence here. Enlighten us, I can only go by what I have tried.

20,248 Posts
shockproof is a horrible idea for transmissions. The globules in it will clog synchro channels and internal passages inside the transmission shafts. Modern transmissions, including ours need thin fluid to work right.

Shockproof literally has globs of stuff in it to achieve the protection under stress ring and pinions need. There is nothing loaded in the 3/s transaxle that needs that much protection.

20,248 Posts
Its also funny to see people decry synchromesh so much and recommend motor oil when synchromesh is a motor oil based fluid.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.