Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm trying to tune in my DSBC & i see some people walking in the middle of the road. I let the boost build up & let off the BOV sounds off like a Simi releasing the air brakes & they go running for the side of the road & i'm 40yards away.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
229 Posts
lol

thats funny, must have scared the crap out those people. I would have loved to have been there and seen the expression on their faces. haha :D :D I dont have a BOV but i have a K&N FIPK and it love that sucking sound.....and wit it the boost builds up a lot faster. so when people piss me off or people are on the road, i let it build and i let it out hard. its so much fun, and also i rev, love my custom exhaust sound :eek: :eek: :D

·
Registered
467 Posts
Green VR4, take the silencer out and your stock BOV is hella loud. My stock one was louder than my Aftermarket one.

·
465awhp
1,632 Posts
Most peoples have this expression on their faces when I drive by,:D. Where the hell is that sound coming from.

Black94VR4

·
I have too many cars
369 Posts
I"m sorry to sound off topic, but how do you take the silencer out!? That would save me hundreds off an aftermarket one!!! Is it still safe to do that?

Mustang,

·
Registered
229 Posts
ya, im interested in taking out my silencer too, how would u do that? but i dont know, i will get my BOV this summer hopefully, a BOV protects the turbos correct? thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yup, blow off valves do help your turbo life and also help the boost come up quicker when you let off during a gear change. When your boosting hard your turbo will retain its momentum because of its mass and because its spinning at close to 140,000RPM. When you lift off the throttle, your throttle body closes, and the turbo, which is still spinning suddenly finds that there is no place for the boost to go. So the boost stacks up in the intercooler, your plumbing, and the back pressure will reach the turbo compressor wheel. All that resistance will slow your turbo down alot and quickly, stressing the bearings and the shaft. In the worst case after 1000's of miles you might twist the shaft completely. So we throw in a blow off valve, which is basically a pressure relief, and life is good. Now when the boost starts stacking up when you go from boost to a throttle lift, the BOV gives and the excess pressure is exhausted. The beautiful pissssh! The performance advantage is that the BOV keeps the compressor wheel spinning. It can free wheel, more less, and hold it's rpm. So now when you get back on the throttle, your turbo doesn't have to recover because it lost speed when the boost staked up and spool up to operating speed again. Now your boost is quicker in arrival, and you go faster. Besides that it just sounds cool! :D

LOL...note to one's self......I get alot of spelling mistakes at 3am in the morning. I hopefully fixed them all!

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shelby VNT said:
Now your boost is quicker in arrival, and you go faster. Besides that it just sounds cool!
You also get people scattering accross the road with "i shit myself" faces

·
Registered
223 Posts
LOL....haven't had that yet, but YET is the keyword!

·
Canada Eh!
523 Posts
I wanna Know!!

Danny Boy said:
Green VR4, take the silencer out and your stock BOV is hella loud. My stock one was louder than my Aftermarket one.
how do you do this?

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
Re: I wanna Know!!

BigBoi said:

how do you do this?
To remove the 'silencer':

Disconnect the MAS from the y-pipe, look inside the y-pipe, you'll see a funky looking y-shaped plastic thingy going down towards the BOV, yank the funky looking y thingy out and reconnect the MAS, enjoy a slightly louder BOV.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm at work and in a hurry. :) If you are completely lost I can post a pic or 2.:cool:

·
Canada Eh!
523 Posts
Re: Re: I wanna Know!!

Powelsound said:

To remove the 'silencer':

Disconnect the MAS from the y-pipe, look inside the y-pipe, you'll see a funky looking y-shaped plastic thingy going down towards the BOV, yank the funky looking y thingy out and reconnect the MAS, enjoy a slightly louder BOV.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm at work and in a hurry. :) If you are completely lost I can post a pic or 2.:cool:
Makes perfect sense, but After I took it out I did not notice much of a difference if any at all! should that be right?

I was just wondering if I un hooked the hose that went from the BOV to the intake (and covered off the intake side) and let the BOV vent to the atmosphere would that be louder?

What kind of sound are you guys getting from yours?

Mike
:cool:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mine's pretty loud. I'm running a Turbo XS type34H now, but my stock valve was louder and sounded much deeper.

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I wanna Know!!

BigBoi said:

Makes perfect sense, but After I took it out I did not notice much of a difference if any at all! should that be right?

I was just wondering if I un hooked the hose that went from the BOV to the intake (and covered off the intake side) and let the BOV vent to the atmosphere would that be louder?

What kind of sound are you guys getting from yours?

Mike

It's really not much louder at all.. It changes the sound alittle but doesn't really make it much louder. You can run your stock BOV open but your car may run like shit. It will stall, backfire and run pig rich.. Your BOV will be scary loud though! I used an Absolut Vodka bottle cap to plug the Y-pipe, it fits perfectly:D My car ran so bad with it open atmosphere I had to put it back, I fouled my plugs a little too..

·
In charge
1,814 Posts
I've certainly had people looking around trying to figure out what that sound was, but I've never tried to spook a pedestrian before.

·
Canada Eh!
523 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: I wanna Know!!

Powelsound said:

You can run your stock BOV open but your car may run like shit. It will stall, backfire and run pig rich.. My car ran so bad with it open atmosphere I had to put it back, I fouled my plugs a little too..
So do after market BOV's make your car run crappy or do the aftermarket ones vent to the intake as well?

A friend of mine has a MR2 turbo and he has an APEXi BOV venting to the atmosphere that sounds awsome when he shifts...(loudly)pshtt!!! I love it!!
Mike

·
Registered
531 Posts
This is kinda off topic too, but does the BOV make any noticable performance difference?

·
Registered
229 Posts
the BOV alone will not make any noticable difference in ur performance, it just saves the turbos in the long run and makes a hot ass sounddddd.

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
Re: Re: I wanna Know!!

Powelsound said:

I'd really like to see a pic, I'm not going fumbling around in there again without better than just a clue...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts