Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

261 - 266 of 266 Posts

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
I'm sitting here with my 95 SL looking at all these parts: View attachment 289223
hahaha well, FWIW (for what it's worth)... I started with a '95 base M/T followed by a '91 VR-4 before this car came into my possession (previously a friend/client's a decade ago). Appreciate your SL for what it is while reading and learning as much as you can here; ask specific questions. Save your pennies before making any bold moves and decisions. If the sentimental value is there, then a conversion is always possible (whether TT-FWD, TT-AWD, 4G, whatever). Otherwise, your best bang-for-the-buck will be starting with a healthy, well-maintained VR-4 or R/T Turbo. Obviously, this is from a performance standpoint. "Fun factor" with "modifications" are all subjective anyway... relevant to the owner/end-user and application regardless of speed and power.

Reactions: stealthII

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
^^ Alan is a true sage. Listen and follow his words wisely. lol

But I share a similar story. Had a 91 Stealth non-turbo and I had lots of great memories with it (a few bad). I gave it to my Dad in 04', after I got the TT. He drove the crap out of it and it was super reliable (sans me dropping a washer down the intake and it ending up on top of #2's piston 🤬). It ultimately met its demise recently @ ~300k miles. It wasn't the fastest car out there. But they still look nice and the style IMO, still keeps up with the times. My TT has been my garage queen and she's like it there. So if you can swing it, get both. lol. One can be the reliable car and the other can be your "play toy".

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Can you describe/detail your cooling setup? My FMIC + TD05 setup has had overheating issues forever. Recently discovered that those issues are exacerbated at highway speed which tells me I have an aerodynamic problem for airflow through the radiator at speed. Curious how you solved it since it looks like you have 1 fan and perhaps an oil cooler behind the radiator?
Just to follow-up in addition to my previous, lengthy reply... I had a similar conversation with someone else on the same topic.

My ETS FMIC is also mounted several inches lower than the typically intended installation. It has been this way for years even with the previous ETS core, but the takeaway is that there is an unobstructed space above it for "fresh" air to reach the radiator and oil cooler (or at least I would imagine so lol 😅) pretty much the diameter or height of the Hella Supertone horn.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

Reactions: stealthystu

·
Excitable at high speeds
769 Posts
Just to follow-up in addition to my previous, lengthy reply... I had a similar conversation with someone else on the same topic.

My ETS FMIC is also mounted several inches lower than the typically intended installation. It has been this way for years even with the previous ETS core, but the takeaway is that there is an unobstructed space above it for "fresh" air to reach the radiator and oil cooler (or at least I would imagine so lol 😅) pretty much the diameter or height of the Hella Supertone horn.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9
Appreciate the extra details :)

Your setup is incredibly custom already, but the biggest differences from my setup that stood out to me were
1. Your AC condenser has been removed. This eliminates what I imagine is a huge aerodynamic restriction, but is likely one of the last steps I’ll explore
2. You also have a Koyo radiator but yours only extends half way across the front compared to mine/stock. This honestly blew my mind. It made me realize that with enough airflow (or other precautions) The full length Koyo that I have installed should be overkill
3. You have some clever heat shielding on your turbo helping to reduce radiant heat from getting to the radiator

I had created fiberglass ductingto try to direct more airflow to my radiator but the approach I took failed and made my problem worse. I plan to remove/modify that to hopefully improve airflow. I also plan to remove my 2 unshrouded fans and replace them with shrouded fans, which should promote pulling air through the full radiator, not just the circular area of my current fans. Not sure yet if I will keep the Koyo or return to stock radiator when I do that. Depends mostly on space available

261 - 266 of 266 Posts