Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

221 - 240 of 266 Posts

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Al you ain't getting off that easy.. :LOL:
LOL you got me... :ROFLMAO: I was trying to avoid updating here until I had my slip(s) in-hand hahaha!

Welp... I guess I need to back track and share the last half-year's worth of progress since we are on lockdown anyway ? going to be redundant for everyone on my social media though.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
SO... nothing too wild during these past few months, but I suppose it is all still interesting and "cool" to some heh. I have been busy helping other local 3/S owners with their setups and tuning.

Here are some "current" or at least recent spool figures with my setup that produces a very broad mid-top range powerband:
-cross 0psig by 2,800 in third gear
-cross 0psig by 2,300-2,400 in second
-cross 20psi by 3,800 RPM
-hit 27-28psi by 4,200ish RPM
-creep to 33-34psi after 6,000 RPM

As she sits today during the ongoing, random rain in SoCal lol

More recent views from underhood - may change slightly

In a nutshell, here are two additional videos highlighting the adventure, hurdles, and some reactions from riding along upon attaining successful results:

The following pictures are not in chronological order, so I just randomly chose some insightful and pertinent ones.

Blackstone UOA after my last update post last year ? green light for more power after a hard break-in

FIC 1220 vs FIC 1800 cc injectors

Walbro "Hellcat" fuel pump ("525" lph) to replace the standard (not high-pressure) Walbro 450lph

Initial NGK 4644 @0.030" vs NGK 4554 @0.026"

ProMeth Mist-A-Pipe with 2x AEM 1000cc nozzles

Pump and reservoir mounted in the opposite corner of exhaust

AEM WMI V2 controller mounted in the cockpit

For added safety and anticipation of tech inspection, I added an Autopower "Race" Rollbar with optional diagonal along with Takata Drift III 4-point harnesses

Rear view

I had Chris at Rvenge assemble my BILLET transfer case using one of my spare, freshly built TC's. Broomfield housings with PCT cover

Installed and looking good

All buttoned up before covering up with the aluminum undercarriage sheets

I had the special opportunity of being the first to install this prototype part from Volk Metal Craft :) VMC tubular rearend support brace

Rear differential is now solidly mounted to subframe

Looks right at home with the rest of the goodies! Surprisingly, my newish stock unit's bushings were already beginning to tear hahaha...

To be continued...

Reactions: stealthII

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
...continued:

I also quickly made my first iteration of a rear diffuser heh - looks okay for now.

Another angle with my EVO VIII

Panda gets down, squats, and boogies to earn that nice tire line

VD plot from November just highlighting the powerband and still rich + conservative tune

"Just fine-tuning deeper into the 600's ? feeling cute though... might crack 700 later, but we are on lockdown now lolol ?" - yesterday

TBH, I am not really hung up on numbers right now as I just want to simultaneously continue ramping up the ignition timing while pulling fuel i.e. aggressive tuning or easy part haha until I see diminishing returns. The ET and trap will speak for themselves at this weight anyway. My goal is a low-10 without LC - all driver mod. If that happens, then I might tune ALS/enable some massive boost off of the line and risk annihilation for a high-9 lol! A while back, I was doing test runs with Dragy on my other cars; Panda gripped so hard that my phone flew off ? must be a good indication, right? Perhaps...

Eventually, I will need to decide on upgrading to v1 HTA68's (7cm bolt-on) or utilizing my new, discontinued IPS single kit. Currently, "if it ain't broke..." idiom applies - just wait for the next forced upgrade. I want everything moving forward to be justified though since I technically have more than "enough" to run something impressive first. I feel that the more you have, then the higher the expectation.

Anyway... that is it for now. 'til next time!

-Alan

PS: I do have a nice timelapse of the VMC part installation. I am just waiting for the official announcement/release first before uploading that.

Reactions: w1pebphavvr4

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Awesome man. Appreciate the update on the build. Looks like she moves really good and she's got a lot of goodies. BTW, I need that VMC rearend support brace. lol. BTW, what clutch are you running?

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Awesome man. Appreciate the update on the build. Looks like she moves really good and she's got a lot of goodies. BTW, I need that VMC rearend support brace. lol. BTW, what clutch are you running?
Thank-you ? just keeping it fun and interesting lol

Yeah, I plan on posting in the review section or sub-forum after Paul does an official release / announcement and adds the product to the VMC website. I took three timelapse videos for the removal and installation, so I will work on that soon. In the meantime, I did upload an "unboxing" video here:

I am using a SPEC 4+ LW (lightweight) clutch with SPEC lightweight steel flywheel; it is full-faced and unsprung. My hard break-in and heat cycling approach has proven successful, so far. I believe that Chris at Rvenge also had a positive experience with his SPEC 4+ LW seeing power early-on. After using Redline MT-85 and then straight MTL, this current trans' performance improved noticeably with Mitsubishi Diaqueen + Mitsubishi friction modifier added (full bottle). I guess it really does vary, but that was my recent experience. Out of curiosity, I might submit a sample to Blackstone for analysis. Here is an example from last year on my EVO X SE's GETRAG SST/DCT:

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Looks awesome! I really like the Blackstone commentaries on the reports.?
Thanks Aaron! And yeah, they are sometimes very corny lmao ? I have a good collection from other 3S and non-3S turbo cars if you want to see more for amusement. You get the occasionally blunt response too lol ?

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Thanks Aaron! And yeah, they are sometimes very corny lmao ? I have a good collection from other 3S and non-3S turbo cars if you want to see more for amusement. You get the occasionally blunt response too lol ?

Haha! That might make a good thread in it's own right!

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Haha! That might make a good thread in it's own right!
lol I never realized that their monthly e-mail newsletters include "Reports of the Month" with wild examples. Someone had three gallons of make up oil added on a 4k interval due to a puking rear main seal =X

Less twin ish more 7675!
haha Dmitri can have that 7675 glory... still waiting for Ohio's spring weather to finally come around before resuming where we left off last year. It should easily touch 800 if all is well.

Local 3/S owner, Cho, and his 7175 is looking promising this year though:

Reactions: StarWolfQTP

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Thank-you ? just keeping it fun and interesting lol

Yeah, I plan on posting in the review section or sub-forum after Paul does an official release / announcement and adds the product to the VMC website. I took three timelapse videos for the removal and installation, so I will work on that soon. In the meantime, I did upload an "unboxing" video here:

I am using a SPEC 4+ LW (lightweight) clutch with SPEC lightweight steel flywheel; it is full-faced and unsprung. My hard break-in and heat cycling approach has proven successful, so far. I believe that Chris at Rvenge also had a positive experience with his SPEC 4+ LW seeing power early-on. After using Redline MT-85 and then straight MTL, this current trans' performance improved noticeably with Mitsubishi Diaqueen + Mitsubishi friction modifier added (full bottle). I guess it really does vary, but that was my recent experience. Out of curiosity, I might submit a sample to Blackstone for analysis. Here is an example from last year on my EVO X SE's GETRAG SST/DCT:

Love the unboxing video. I'm definitely going to grab one, once he releases them. Gotta collect the set. lol.

Thanks for the clutch info. Good to see you're having good results with it and running higher horsepower through it. I ran the SPEC 4+ on my stock block / TD05 setup and had no issues with it. However, I got an RPC C/C for a decent deal and am going to run that, even though I understand it might blow up w/o notice. So I might be reverting back to it..lol

BTW, what kind of gauge rings/adapters are you using, for the center gauges? They look really good!

Your buddy's single setup looks sick. Looking forward to seeing some more vids on that.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Love the unboxing video. I'm definitely going to grab one, once he releases them. Gotta collect the set. lol.

Thanks for the clutch info. Good to see you're having good results with it and running higher horsepower through it. I ran the SPEC 4+ on my stock block / TD05 setup and had no issues with it. However, I got an RPC C/C for a decent deal and am going to run that, even though I understand it might blow up w/o notice. So I might be reverting back to it..lol

BTW, what kind of gauge rings/adapters are you using, for the center gauges? They look really good!

Your buddy's single setup looks sick. Looking forward to seeing some more vids on that.
You definitely should! He has a few made and almost ready to go fresh from coating. I believe the released number was ~3lbs +/- less than the stocker too. My total R&R time, start to finish, was under an hour, and that was with me pacing myself and recording (working on that video now actually)

That is awesome! I have only ever ran the single RPS C/C and loved it on my first VR-4. The twin disc has its merits and history in the platform, but you already know the stories of its ugly side too lol. I have been keeping torque output in check since the 4+ LW is "only" rated for ~670 ft-lbs and do not want to be one of the first to find out otherwise :ROFLMAO:

RE the gauges: you are one of the few to have noticed and/or asked haha! I simply added the "sun visors" to help create a more snug fitment akin to using 60mm.
2 1/16" (52mm) Gauge Sun Visor << PLX Devices

Reactions: stealthII

·
1994 Mit 3000gt VR4 6spd
1,298 Posts
The 4+ lightweight is rated at like 780 ft pds IIRC... hope i'm right lol

Reactions: bboyalan

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
lol I never realized that their monthly e-mail newsletters include "Reports of the Month" with wild examples. Someone had three gallons of make up oil added on a 4k interval due to a puking rear main seal =X+
Oh, I have to check that out!

·
Boosted.
681 Posts
I'm surprised I haven't seen this before; I have a slightly less modified version of your panda on Chrome and E85. It's nice to see others running TD05's still even if you won't be for that much longer.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
^Love the doggo! <3 haha!

This is more of an abstract update since I realize that many are not seeing or following posts on social media, so I apologize to those who have already seen these from me 😅

"Cliff" notes:
-I ultimately decided to "re/detune" for broader and safer power since this is just a fun, stepping stone anyway laying out foundation (among other things)
-"upgraded" from 3.5bar to 5bar MAP sensor (more headroom despite retuning lower load with changed resolution)
-replaced blown rear turbo (front was last year) and shimmed the f*ck out of wastegates
-rotated PST CFDS 180° due to vibration at "critical speed" in third gear (more pronounced than before with the solid rear brace)
-hacked up and welded/saved a "tweaked" PitRoadM/Carbing front strut tower brace that had been sitting
-almost tossed in one of my spare AEM EBCS (mapped/tuned a few other cars recently) but decided to postpone that for next setup - still Hallman MBC
-after nearly a year, I finally installed my Rvenge/Denso COP (coil on plug) ignition setup and wired it for sequential fire (plugs from last year had finally opened up from original 0.026" to 0.030" - could have just regapped or installed new but seized the opportunity)
-boost curve in second improved by 3-500rpm, so full tilt in third should be approximately 4k now
-525, 550, and finally 560AWHP with overall 3° less advance than before and far less than stock/flash (more so with a piggyback) but boosting off of the island of compressor map efficiency hahahaha

^Latest YT episode summarizes the most recent adventures and hurdles encountered + endured

Random photo dump:

Got meth?

This view never gets old

Torque seal/stripe applied after rotating

I saw the slight smoke after the most recent third gear pull - only radial play (no axial)

Chopped up into three pieces

Mocked into place

Tacked together

Wrinkle black on wrinkle black

AEM 3.5bar vs 5bar SS

Updated look underhood

Summer night vibes...

300-500rpm, on average, improvement in boost curve for second gear with the shims

Third versus second

est. 560AWHP VD SAE (+16 U/C and second gear)

Just another metric (60-80) showing improvement with a quicker time

Lookin' good! Yes, the hood is ajar lol

Lastly, I added a "partytime" RAL (rolling anti-lag) button for whenever... highly unlikely that I will ever use it though lolol

Second Blackstone UOA report to ensure that everything is well and consistent with documented trends.

So yeah... in addition to perseverance, it boils down to planning and execution. I have been lighting fires under my friends/clients' asses to get a move on. "You have to want it."

I am trying to switch my attention to helping some locals while biding my time for CA to open up [tracks] again. The interim step will be larger twins e.g. FP, but the big midlife crisis step will still be the BC stroker w/ single haha; they will just look pretty on a stand. 228 hard miles on the build, as of today, and I am absolutely content.

-Alan

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Mate, this is a beast!
Thank-you, sir!

Alan what rollball is that?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Hey Chris! This is from Autopower here in San Diego; Terry from Maximal used to be a dealer many years ago. More specifically, it is their "race" rollbar with optional diagonal. I picked this up from their facility, spoke with the owner, walked the shop, and saw their fab area + crazy AF top fuel dragster. Pretty legit family history of racing haha. Lmk if you have any particular questions or want certain pictures.

221 - 240 of 266 Posts