Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

181 - 200 of 234 Posts

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Almost party time! :) I removed some of the bling but still not done reverting back to mostly black. Hoping to do first startup in the next day or two along with new weight + alignment here. Gettin' there!

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Ugh... lost a day due to a brutal, King Kong-sized b*tch of a migraine!

Looks clean!
What front turbo outlet pipe is that?
Thanks! The COP/J-Pipes were custom made-to-order by ETS some time before they also stopped offering their standard TD04 pipe kits. Apparently, they always had a secret jig or something lol.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
You know it!

First startup finally happened yesterday! Fired right up and idled well. The Lucas 30w break-in oil came out clean, so that is always good. I normally would have reverted to stock injectors and/or ECU, but I decided to just stick with the AEM Series 2 and tweak my old Pump-E85 tune. Trevor's Mechman alternator is also back in action lol - pumping out 14.5v at idle.

Video clip of idling <<

aaaand one more of the ass end:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Sweet build and thanks for the pics. Those help motivate me to keep going on mine. ;) You're tempting me to pick up some of those Volks control arms. Those looks way nicer than the ones I'm running. Also, definitely let us know how that clutch works out. I think Chris is going to be running one too, right?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
How do you like that lucas break in oil?

17,276 Posts
Sweet build and thanks for the pics. Those help motivate me to keep going on mine. ;) You're tempting me to pick up some of those Volks control arms. Those looks way nicer than the ones I'm running. Also, definitely let us know how that clutch works out. I think Chris is going to be running one too, right?
Yes, I'm running the same Spec 4+ LW, but with the steel competition clutch flywheel. I don't have it listed on the site at the moment, but we can supply the Spec flywheel for anyone who wants it.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #192 (Edited)
The quality and craftsmanship are definitely outstanding! I plan on doing another review thread after I get some seat time with them, but the curved uppers do have noticeable frame clearance from the standard options. At the moment, I only have installation + DIY alignment notes and observations.

Is your RPS C/C the single or twin disc? My first 3/S clutch upgrade was the single, and that thing was awesome. The setup that I just replaced for this build was the standard SPEC 4+ with an RPS Cyn-R-G segmented FW (excellent combo). I have been breaking-in Dustin's '96 Stealth with the standard 4+ and Competition steel FW (just like Chris), and it is very grabby! I have high expectations for the 4+ LW regardless of the lifespan heh.

How do you like that lucas break in oil?
Great so far! It is probably overkill, but it does not hurt if you can afford the extra expense. I am using the same break-in procedure/ingredients from a rebuild that I performed earlier this year. Upon draining the Predator's blood... I mean Lucas... I use Rotella T4 with Lucas ZDDP additive for every change throughout the break-in process. At the end, I will submit a sample for analysis before reverting back to Mobil1 15W-50 and proceed with power tuning. Again, it is overkill and unnecessary, but it gives me peace of mind and assurance.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Nice work Alan. Never seen that break-in oil before, cool.
Thanks Ryan! Yeah, I always wanted to try the Brad Penn version, but I was doing a huge order with Summit earlier this year (one-day OnTrac delivery to our region)

In other news... Panda v.3's new diet results = 3,094 lbs! :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The quality and craftsmanship are definitely outstanding! I plan on doing another review thread after I get some seat time with them, but the curved uppers do have noticeable frame clearance from the standard options. At the moment, I only have installation + DIY alignment notes and observations.

Is your RPS C/C the single or twin disc? My first 3/S clutch upgrade was the single, and that thing was awesome. The setup that I just replaced for this build was the standard SPEC 4+ with an RPS Cyn-R-G segmented FW (excellent combo). I have been breaking-in Dustin's '96 Stealth with the standard 4+ and Competition steel FW (just like Chris), and it is very grabby! I have high expectations for the 4+ LW regardless of the lifespan heh.

It's the twin disc. I've read they work great until they don't. I was originally looking at the Carbonetic Triple or a CM 850. But I got a good deal on it locally. So we'll see how it holds up. My old setup was exactly that, a SPEC 4+ w/ the RPS Cyn-R-G FW. It never slipped on me once around 22-25 PSI but I don't think it's going to like the stroker w/ all the boost. I just pulled it out a few weeks ago and it looks like it's in pretty good shape. But if you and Chris run it through its paces and if this RPS prematurely dies, I might be back to these and just have to swap them more often.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
ooh very cool! I believe that the RPS twin C/C used to be Ray's choice of clutch too back in the day, no? Matt too IIRC... been too long since I read about it.

Just like everything else, I guess everyone has had their own pos/neg experiences. I know that Dmitri also tried the 4+ long ago but made the switch to CM FX850 with no intent of ever going back lol! He claims it cannot be slipped conveniently though for take-offs. But anyway, I am glad that you are keeping an open mind about it like Chris and me :) :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
ooh very cool! I believe that the RPS twin C/C used to be Ray's choice of clutch too back in the day, no? Matt too IIRC... been too long since I read about it.

Just like everything else, I guess everyone has had their own pos/neg experiences. I know that Dmitri also tried the 4+ long ago but made the switch to CM FX850 with no intent of ever going back lol! He claims it cannot be slipped conveniently though for take-offs. But anyway, I am glad that you are keeping an open mind about it like Chris and me :) :bigthumb:
Yeah, Ray used to like them, until they would unpredictively blow up on him, before/during his street races. So he avoids the CCs now and is running an RPS 6-puck (I learned that after I bought it..lol). Matt M used to rave about them and had no complaints. That's what he ran on his 8 second white Stealth but then again, that car was strictly a drag car. I heard rebuild costs are expensive on them too. So we'll see. lol..

As for the CM, that's what my fear with those are. My Stealth is going to be 90% street car. So having a on/off clutch is a concern. Traffic around these parts, is no joke. A casual drive down the interstate, can go from doing 90mph, into a parking lot, by as much as someone running over a cockroach. God forbid if it rains. Either way, I think we're all trying to find that sweet spot clutch.

BTW, where did that sweet ass turbo oil cap come from?

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Ah yes! Thanks for remembering all of those details lol! You are absolutely right in trying to find that balance though. The 16T compressor oil cap was done by April "dbest" (she did a 15G one for Dustin together with this a few years back, and we "lucked out" with no leaks)

Since FB is having photo issues today...

RE corner balancing:

"I only did one set of adjustments (running on two hours of sleep), but the front is decent with me in it. I will revisit this later and chip away at the rears/diagonals. I need to get some miles on this build to see what issues may or may not come up along the way (would not be a 3/S otherwise lol). Current race weight is 3285 lbs though! Awesome :) "

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Ah yes! Thanks for remembering all of those details lol! You are absolutely right in trying to find that balance though. The 16T compressor oil cap was done by April "dbest" (she did a 15G one for Dustin together with this a few years back, and we "lucked out" with no leaks)

Since FB is having photo issues today...

RE corner balancing:

"I only did one set of adjustments (running on two hours of sleep), but the front is decent with me in it. I will revisit this later and chip away at the rears/diagonals. I need to get some miles on this build to see what issues may or may not come up along the way (would not be a 3/S otherwise lol). Current race weight is 3285 lbs though! Awesome :) "
Awesome weight! You put the ol' girl on a diet!

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,279 Posts
Not sure why, but I love the corner balancing process. It’s a little frustrating at times when one thing changes another and you have to go back and forth, but so fun to watch and the results are worth it. Keep at it!

181 - 200 of 234 Posts