Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
IDIC
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've learned alot about taking care of car finishes since I bought my black Spyder.
The biggest mistake I made was washing the car on a hot day in the sunlight.
Alot of people talk about "swirl marks"..are they referring to the "haze" left behind by wax if it's not buffed correctly or the shiny "spider-web" looking swirls that are caused by the paint microscopically cracking?

So far, I've found that any "haze" left behind by the wax after I buff it out with the orbital buffer comes out perfectly with McGuire's or Mother's quick-detailer and a detailing rag. (This haze can only be seen in just the right light at the right angle).
Anyway, is there anyway to get rid of those "spider-web" cracks or does that require a repaint?
And, I have the McGuire's kit with the Polish. whenever I use the polish, it never seems to buff out correctly..it always leaves that "haze". What exactly do you do and use to polish a car? ie: the instructions say you can use an orbital buffer, so I've tried that. But do you push hard or very lightly?

So, let's use this thread to condense some of the paint-care tips/tricks..i'm sure everyone has learned something everyone else would like to know :) (Especially me)

-Aaron
'94 R/T TT
'95 VR-4 Spyder
'95 Pearl Yellow R/T (belongs to Mom)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yes swirl marks are those tiny cracks that you see.... yes you can get rid of them to an extent without repainting depending on how bad they are. Several companies have special swirl mark products including zaino and Meguiars. If the swirls are too bad you will need to have them professionally buffed/polished out but I'm not sure how much that costs... perhaps somebody here knows. I could probably use this since my car has swirls from the previous owner :(
They'd have to be pretty bad & deep to require a repaint tho.
As for the haze that's just you not removing the stuff completely probably... what I usually do is buff like crazy to get the stuff off... then go back around the whole car 1 or 2 more times with fresh towels just to get the remaining residue off. Some people move the car into the sun so the remaining wax can "melt" and then they wipe it off again after 15 min or so.
I use zaino obviously and I do everything by hand... buffers are the devil if you don't know how to use em ;)

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
First use a very very good microfiber towel. They cost about 4 bucks for one thats about 1ftx2ft. Its my best investment yet as far as taking care of my car.
Use a cleaner wax paste, then follow up with a polish but use lightly and in the shade after your car cools. Then move onto a good wax, meguiares makes good products but they don't last very long. I use Zymol and will continue to do so. If you chose to use Meguiares go back over with zymol to get some extra protection. Or use the yellow 26 wax, paste, by meguiares I haven't tried it yet but it sounds good. :)
After I do all this I have very very few swirl marks, and believe me I know how hard it is to keep a black car clean. Dust seems to build up within seconds. But use that Microfiber towel to buff out the wax,polish, and to dust off the car. Buy a few towels sure it will cost a little more than that 3 towels for a 1 dollars pack. But your paint will look much better. I have used an orbital buffer and it didn't do near the job a hmm..hand job does(no pun intended). After using the wax get a light light mist of water on each section of the car then buff out real quick. This will *set* the wax which leaves a really nice finish to it. Very even, smooth surface.
Notes - Don't use that cheap ass little foam applier you get with the wax, get a cotton one by Turtle Wax, and use a diff one for each wax, polish you use. Don't use a sponge to wash your car, use a good quality wash I use Meguares Extra Bubbly. Use a Washing Towel to wash the car. Its like a giant mitt with cotton. The foam ones leave swirl marks.
good luck and any other questions let me know.
I also wash windows everytime and wiper blades, back to black on the plastic parts, Metal polish on the exhaust tips leaving them nice and shiney, If you use tire stuff to make them black, use Meguires High Endurance, and put a nice coat on then don't drive the car for a couple hours, let it sit. This way you won't have to remove the spray-off of the stuff. Plus if it dries on the tire it will last a couple weeks instead of days

-Jeff

·
Missing my VR4
130 Posts
Zaino is the key to what ailes you

I am a Zaino convert ...as of this weekend. All of the probs you descrided sounded like my car ...prior to this weekend!!

It takes some upfront work ( and it is not cheap.....relatively speaking ), but you will be mucho happy with the results. I have 3 coats on now..........and it made a WORLD of difference........ especially considring that I have a black car. Other than some of the chips and nicks that were there ( to be expected ).....the paint is now smooth as glass and very little visible swirls. They have deminished with each passing coat. ( Use 1, 2, & 5 and get the claybar ) 2 more coats and the beast will blind people.:D At night....the color is so deep and dark...........I look like two headlights coming out of the night. The rest of the car disappears into the night ( I know .. overly dramatic ) During the day it is like a mirror on the highway. I have already caught one chick checking herself out in the side of the car as she drove by.

I used to get a few comments about my car..........NOW>.......a ton.

Try it www.Zainobros.com

·
Registered
689 Posts
SWIRL MARKS ARE NOT CRACKS IN THE PAINT. They are very fine scratches in the clear coat caused most often by polishing or drying your paint with a material such as diapers or terry cloth towels (even the 100% cotton cloths). The fabric leaves these scratches in a swirl pattern because that is how we tend to rub.

Swirl mark removers are extremely fine polishes that will take theses marks out but if you use towels you will put them right back on. Unfortunately dark paint and especially black show these scratches worse. People with white cars are more immune because they don't show up much. On a black car if they get too bad the paint will look more grayish and dull in bright light.

ANY TYPE OF CRACKING OR SPIDER CRACKING IN THE PAINT CAN ONLY BE FIXED BY RE-PAINTING. An actual crack in the paint no matter how fine cannot be repaired by a polishing product. It doesn't matter how much you polish a crack it will not bond the paint back together. Some waxes may fill in the crack though making it less visible.

Darktrail uses the same Micro Fiber cloths that I use and you won't find anything better than this amazing new product. I get mine at WalMart or Pep Boys. I'll try to scan the package and post it here. Try these and I promise you will never use anything else.

I did a test some time back after I had just finished a machine buff on my car. I took the softest freshly washed 100% cotton towel I had and wiped it one time over my hood. IT LEFT VERY FINE SCRATCHES IN MY CLEAR COAT. The same kind scrathes that make up swirl marks. Then I tried it with the Micro Fiber cloth. It left nothing but shine.

My routine for the most ultimate finish on your car's paint is 1) Clay Bar 2)Machine polish using foam cover & Meguire's #7 polish 3)Machine wax using foam cover & Meguire's Yellow wax (I haven't had the opportunity to try Zaino's or Zymol but I may try some this weekend.)
I would never use a terry cloth or lambswool pad on a buffer for different reasons. :)

WHERE DO YOU GUYS BUY ZAINO? I HAVEN"T BEEN ABLE TO FIND IT.

·
Registered
689 Posts
OK, here it is!!! I scanned the package to help any of you that want to try the ULTIMATE wiping, polishing, drying cloth! There are several colors with yellow and green being the softest. You can also wash and use them many times.

Check out my paint!

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
><i>WHERE DO YOU GUYS BUY ZAINO? I HAVEN"T BEEN ABLE TO FIND IT.</i>

http://www.zainobros.com

There's a hefty shipping charge on it which, if you're buying it for the first time and therefore want to purchase only small sample quantities, will be a sizable fraction of your total cost. See if there aren't a whole bunch of other people geographically close to you who would also like to order some, and throw it all on the same order.

·
Missing my VR4
130 Posts
Shipping Expensive??

Shipping is like $7.................that isn't too bad...........is it??

It is well worth it. But, you are right..........the more people that you can get to order..........the better.

There may be a distributor near by as well. Call them to see if there is one.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Czar, email Sal Zaino @ [email protected] and ask him if you have any local distributors. I just got 2 bottles of Z3 polish, 1 car wash, and 5 towels shipped for $4 from mine ($8 total, he split it 50/50 US Priority).
If you don't have one just give mine a call:
Ken Stark
2615 Barwick Dr.
Durham, NC 27704
(919) 616-2731

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Mut - Whats the best Zaino stuff to start out with. and how much did all that cost you that you just mentioned?
What exactly do I need to order? I want to try this stuff out.
Thanks
-Jeff

·
Missing my VR4
130 Posts
The stuff to use..........

This is the best combo.......... I have found.

Polish Lock #1
Polish #2
'Enhanced Polish' #5
( not what is called...but correct #. Great for more 'enhanced' gloss look. Gets out swirls better )

Claybar

Mequires carwash and gloss enhancer works just as well as Zaino's .

( See my other thread a couple above )

Go out to the site for pricing.....pretty reasonable b/c the stuff last quite a while.

Just my humble 2 cents:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
He's right... the stuff will last you about 10 coats (except the Z1 polish lok... you only use that once anyway)
This is what I do to start the process the first time around:
1.) Wash car with Dawn and then hose off GOOD, don't want any dawn left on your paint.
2.) Claybar the car if needed using the claybar and a spray bottle with water & car wash to lubricate the area to be clayed.
3.) Wash car again with car wash.
4.) Dry car with california waterblade & then towel off what's left
5.) Apply Z1 Polish Lok to car in circular motion using #314 applicator.
6.) Apply Z2, Z3, or Z5 (if you have a lot of swirls, use Z5 as your 1st coat ontop of the Z1 then follow up the next day with some Z2 or 3)
7.) Wait approx 1 hour or more and then buff off the zaino, I usually go around the entire car twice to make sure I got it all.

Then the next day wash the car down with carwash, dry the car, and apply additional coats of Z2, 3, or 5 to your car.
This time around I went with just Z3, no Z5 because I was going for shine... 2 and 3 take out a lot of swirl marks themselves, so you probably don't need 5 at all.

And like Cap said the prices are @ www.zainobros.com on the order form.

To get started you'll want to make sure you have:
Z1 Polish Lok
Z2 or Z3 Polish (Z3 has more shine - reg. paint)
A couple #314 Applicators
A couple GOOD 100% Cotton White towels (Cannon, Fieldcrest, etc.)
Z7 Car Wash

Optional:
Z5 Swirl Remover polish
Z18 ClayBar
Z6 Gloss Enhancer Spray

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Wash car with Dawn?? That stuff is bad for the paint. I plan on getting Zaino also for my 2 black vehicles, it is very hard to keep the damn things clean and shiny :)

·
Missing my VR4
130 Posts
Use the Dawn as pre-work

You wash the car with Dawn to get the old wax off the car so you are working with a clean surface ( no wax or wax residue ). Then I would highly recommend using the clay bar. VERY importante' that you use either a car wash/water mixture or quick detailer as a lubricant...............can't stress that enough.

You are correct that it isn't a good idea to do this too often, but it is needed as prep for Zaino. Once you have the Zaino on, you can use either thier car wash........or ... again........Mequires works just fine.

For black cars ...............or dark color cars......this stuff kicks ass.

Some up front work.......but after that it is easier to maintain then conventional wax / polish.

Again..........my 2 cents.:D

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I think the Gloss Enhancer is Z6, not Z16. I also think it's a very important step to do - it makes the car feel quite slippery (yet dry - don't panic), and also helps repel dust. It also makes it look somewhat shinier.

And, besides, the smell is addictive. :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
screw it, I'll just repaint my Spyder with aircraft paint :D:D That shit is indestructable, no keying my car then :) and no more annoying paintchips

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
You're right Andrew it is Z6... I'm at work and was walking someone thru some program installations forgive my typo ;)
I won't let it happen again. :p
And Dawn isn't that damn bad for your paint! You only use it what.. once a year? I'd be more worried about that rain falling from the sky then the dawn being on my car for less than 30 seconds. :)

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Andrew Caple said:
><i>Do they sell anything to protect your car from winter salt on the road?</i>

Yes. It's called "Florida Retirement Property".
lol...but you gotta be 65 to get it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts