Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new wheels on today, the 17x9 OZ/Fittipaldi Tubolare's that are on clearance for $70 a wheel. They look good and they did send the proper hub adapters. However, my brake calipers did require some grinding. It was just an ever-so-small amount but only because I'd ground them already when trying a previous set of wheels.

I'd suggest you find a very thin spacer, say 1/8-inch, for proper clearance. I really like them though.

Pics to come soon!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hm, I dunno if I would be so comfortable with "grinding" on the integral part of my car that keeps me from dying .. but that's just me.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
John M said:
Got my new wheels on today, the 17x9 OZ/Fittipaldi Tubolare's that are on clearance for $70 a wheel. They look good and they did send the proper hub adapters. However, my brake calipers did require some grinding. It was just an ever-so-small amount but only because I'd ground them already when trying a previous set of wheels.

I'd suggest you find a very thin spacer, say 1/8-inch, for proper clearance. I really like them though.

Pics to come soon!
hrmm...the 18" ones that were on my car cleared okay, even with the MUCH larger 2nd gen calipers ont he front...

I guess 17" is just too small!

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 18"s.. now beginning to wonder if they maybe sent the wrong offset or something?

Check out my thread about it... it wasn't EVERY wheel hitting:
http://209.58.199.225/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52099

I'm just going to use some very small spacers.

Oh, weight... 48lbs INCLUDING TIRES (245/40/18 Kumho's) on my bathroom scale. That's 8 pounds more than my stock ones weighed BUT I weighed my stock ones with NO tread, so you gotta figure a pound of rubber has come off the old ones. LOL

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Luckily I weighed the new wheels (29-30lbs) and the stockers (29-30lbs). Damn the digital bathroom scale that couldn't pick a number either time :)

kalla -

It's not like I removed any appreciable amount of metal. I know, there's the "well if it wasn't needed they wouldn't have put it there" argument but I think it's not any risk at all. It's been ground for about 5000 miles and I haven't had any problems at all, and I'm no light-footed driver either.

·
Drives 2003 COBRA 435rwhp
502 Posts
just got mine too

I love them they look awesome wit my car. What sucked is that according to some pple they should clear they calipers thankfully when they took the front wheels off the car I grabbed one rim to check and sure enough they hit. What really blew is that I had to drive over 30 miles to get 1/8th spacers which just clear the caliper. But the drivers side rubs if I take a hard right not sure what causes it but not very reassuring. they are the 17 x 9 Turbolares. Anyone know where to get the chrome sleeves???

·
Drives 2003 COBRA 435rwhp
502 Posts
ttt

ttt

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
kalla said:
Hm, I dunno if I would be so comfortable with "grinding" on the integral part of my car that keeps me from dying .. but that's just me.
lol hehehe

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not comfortable with the paper-thin clearance I have right now so I'm going to get a set of thin spacers for the front too - no more than 1/8in though. Just a little extra for insurance.

I've now been a few thousand miles on the new wheels. No problems at all with the brakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts