Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Speed is our life-blood
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Base 95 3000GT that's overheating. We first found this 2 weeks ago. We felt one of the pipes coming from the radiator and it wasn't hot. We found a fuze that was popped. We changed it and then we started getting fluid thru both pipes. But it was still overheating. We checked the coolant level, and in that plastic resovoir it looked like it was right, but we waited till the car cooled down a bit and the openned the metal cap that's on the engine itself and there wasn't anything in there. We found it was low on coolant. A week and a half later, as the car is in motion, when you turn, the coolant light will come one. When we went to add coolant, we found it was almost empty again. We've looked to see if it was leaking on the ground where we parked, but nothing. I thought that it might be leaking slowly on the engine and then burning off, but wouldn't you smell it? We don't smell anything. Anyway.. Anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Only one - when you add coolant through the pressure cap (i.e. directly to the block, rather than to the overflow tank), there may still be air trapped in the system, and you may have to "burp" it out by topping up and driving and topping up and driving and topping up and blah blah blah a few times, until you notice that it no longer needs topping up.

·
Speed is our life-blood
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought it might be the thermostat, so I removed it and it seems to be running ok. I have a question though. I looked under the hood again and on top the tranny are puddles of coolant. It's leakign from somewhere. I thought that it might be the pipe going from the radiator to the thermostat, but it looks good. Is there any sort of pressure built up in there by any chance? maybe if the thermostat was stuck or something maybe it's leaking from one of the connections. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I don't have a Stealth in front of me, but don't the two heater core hoses run over the tranny on their way to the firewall?

Maybe you're leaking from one of the hoses, or one of the hose joints. Fire up the engine, let it get hot (and under pressure), and see if you can see coolant spraying out anywhere. Feel along the lengths of the hoses for any coolant that might be running along them and then dripping on to the tranny.

The pools of coolant on the tranny are a very good clue that your loss is from leaking, so all you have to do now is trace the leak, which shouldn't be too hard.

·
Speed is our life-blood
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually it's a Base model 3000, but i've sinched down where i thought the leak is

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
there are the 2 heater core wires and also 3 (i think) other ones. 2 of them run in and out of the TB area and the other is near the front head on the passenger side. Just going by memory though.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
I sent some thoughts through AIM...

check all the hoses, also check to make sure the fuse to the radiator fan(s) are still in there and good. Check the gasket on the waterpump (I think its a makeshift gasket anyway) and check to make sure the waterpump is working properly still.

You may also want to consider that with the highmiles its got a head gasket thats going out and its burning the fluid in the gnein. Pop off the oil cap and check for milky oil on the bottom of it and see if you notice smoke out the back (you wont necessarily smell anything) That is going a little extreme and if you see puddles, its kinda doubtful anyway...

Good Luck...

·
Speed is our life-blood
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mike.. I'll let Court know. She's taking to the dealer right now though.. so I guess they'll handle it from here. I removed the thermostat and went to pepboys to buy some gasket material to make a temp gasket so that thing would seal. It was leaking thru the thermostat housing after I removed the thermostat. Didn't have that little rubber thingy. hehehe.. I was just on the phone with her and she says that it's running a little colder than usual. About the head gasket burning thing. You know.. I did notice some white smoke coming out both her pipes, it's not there when the car i hot. I am assuming that's normal.

·
Speed is our life-blood
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OMG they want to charge her $1000 to change the thermostat, change the timing belt and the water pump. Is it really that much? Geez !

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Yeah the dealer likes to rape people...

I spoke with her yesterday. I can take care of the parts at cheap prices (factory stuff), but in San Diego I don't have the necessary tools to do the labor (I just moved and don't even have a garage yet :( ).

Most normal shops don't like it when you bring them parts to put on because they make money off of selling parts. If I had a good free weekend and a floor jack/jack stands as well as a compressor and impact gun, I've got the rest of the stuff and could swap it all out. I would highly recommend doing the timing belt since the waterpump is in that general area and you've gotta remove all the crap to get to it. Might as well with 106k on the clock anyway...

·
Speed is our life-blood
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke to Manny @ GT Pro and they said they'd charge around $400 if we brought them the parts. What do you think?

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Well I trust Manny to do anything on a 3/S but I can still change a Clutch slave/master cylinder faster! :D ;)

$400 isn't bad and they'd be able to get it done quickest. If money is kinda tight you can probably find a shop to do all the work for $250 or so. I know a good shop in the southern part of LA (south bay) that does excelletn work, is very honest, and pretty cheap.

I'd do all the work for a 6 pack of Shiner Bock or Newcastle and some Pho, but my weekends are taken up right now :( Weekdays are a possibility, but with the time change I'd only have a couple hours light after work...I still would need the tools/workspace as well :(

Give me a month and I'll have a house with a garage :cool:

·
Speed is our life-blood
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hehehehe... i'm not sure if she has a month left. her thermostat housing is sort of rigged together. It'll hold for a while, but I dont know if it'll last a month. LOL.. Umm.. hmm.. I dont think she'd trust just anyone with Jae. I guess GT Pro it is..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts