Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 3000GT non turbo. I am having a problem with the engine overheating after I have driven over 15-20 minutes. It is not noticeable until I am at a red light for longer than 2 minutes, or just sitting idle. It also heats up if I'm on the highway going up a incline for longer than 2 miles.
Turning the heat on does brings the temp gauge down. I replaced the water pump about 8 months ago. Is this the thermostat or do I need a new radiator? My car has 130,000 miles on it. I would greatly appreciated any input on this subject,
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I don't want to go through the hassle of answering this for the third time in one week, so do a quick scan in both this FAQ board and over on the "general" board, and you'll find your answer. Look for a post by "mpro".

·
Registered
466 Posts
definitely the thermalstat.... almost 100% .... if not then it's your radiator... it is cloged badly... but I still think it's the thermalstat.... because my sister's car has the same problem... changed the thermalstat... no more problem....heh so embarassing too cause me and lots of friends went to silverwood lake and lots of girls too.... damn I drove my sister's car and it overheated....damn bad shit heh... now I have this Vr4 and it rocks.... :) thermalstat
--------
Danny...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Not that it effects you, but...

My car was doing that. I replaced the thermosdat, radiator, water pump and was still losing coolant strangely. Turns out I had a cracked block!!! The water jackets in the block were leaking into one of my pistons causing it to burn off all of my coolant. Look at all of the shit I did to it because of this. One thing leads to another! :eek:

·
Whatever Man
2,678 Posts
My car overheated twice: once when my thermostat went bye-bye, and another after my rebuild when the shitbrick mechanic forgot to tighten my hoses enough. On #1, I replaced the thermo, and had no probs thereafter, and on #2 after tightening the clamps on the hoses I had no prob. Go to AutoZone and get you a cheap $2 thermo and call it a day. It'll take all of 5 mins to change it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.