Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Dodge Stealth RT TT - 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT ATX
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I tried searching on Google and the search box here and a few other forums but I am needing to replace my 25 spline out shaft. I have read that OEM is stronger than what's available aftermarket?? Is that true? On Ninja performances page for their 25 spline output shaft it has it listed as being an upgrade in strength from stock but not as strong as 300M. Says it's good for stock to mildly built cars.

I plan on leaving the car close to stock power for the time being but I was curious if I would be better off buying a aftermarket or a OEM shaft for the time being??

Oh and I need to replace the transfer case spool. Will a stock level part be only good for a certain amount of time until the splines start wearing down on the shaft and spool or is that all due to rust and contamination??

Thank you everyone!! This is such a helpful place!!

Thank you all and take care!

17,431 Posts
Hello, it is true the OEM getrag shafts are a bit stronger than the non 300m aftermarket ones. For a fully stock car this is not as big a deal on a 25 spline car as it is in an 18. If you do launch the car go with 300m, or a used getrag.(we have all that in stock)

If you have a worn spool you will want to fix that at the same time or any shaft will wear rapidly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
aftermarket 300m shafts are much stronger than stock they were invented due to stock ones snapping in higher horsepower cars
the stock 25 should spline shaft should last the life expectancy of the vehicle unless it is subjected to the corrosion factor.

17,431 Posts
FYI we have an inventory of used stock getrag shafts in great condition:

or 300m ready to ship:

use code 3s5off for some savings

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, see I have the 25 spline shaft that came out of the car but the splines are very sharp and saw tooth shaped. I don't know if it's original to the car (I'm thinking it is but I'm not sure how to tell if it's an OEM or not??) As it only has 178k.

With the shafts that you have used, I see there listed as good shape but are they going to be close to what I already have?
I wouldn't want to run the shaft I have for very much longer honestly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also is there a way to harden the aftermarket shafts to a harder scale or that would probably just make it too brittle then?? I see that there is FLEXOR or something like that for the spools? Is that needed or can you prolong the life of the shaft and spool just by not launching it? Keeping the splines lubricated and contamination free??

Basically if I'm wanting to launch the car at all I need the 300M / FLEXOR??

Thank you everyone

17,431 Posts
Alright, see I have the 25 spline shaft that came out of the car but the splines are very sharp and saw tooth shaped. I don't know if it's original to the car (I'm thinking it is but I'm not sure how to tell if it's an OEM or not??) As it only has 178k.

With the shafts that you have used, I see there listed as good shape but are they going to be close to what I already have?
I wouldn't want to run the shaft I have for very much longer honestly.
The shafts we save have virtually zero wear, wouldn't sell one that was saw toothed.

17,431 Posts
Also is there a way to harden the aftermarket shafts to a harder scale or that would probably just make it too brittle then?? I see that there is FLEXOR or something like that for the spools? Is that needed or can you prolong the life of the shaft and spool just by not launching it? Keeping the splines lubricated and contamination free??

Basically if I'm wanting to launch the car at all I need the 300M / FLEXOR??

Thank you everyone
There is nothing that can really be done, they are already heat treated. I am sure you could launch them a bit, but since people can break the OEM ones, I do not recommend the non 300m ones to people that plan to launch a lot. The spools we sell are OEM strength or the flexor/hardened. We have not had a failure of a spool yet. Keep them greased and they are fine. Antiseize works very well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts