Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ferrari Nut
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, its rare that I even ask this question but for those of you with Auto's, give you unbiased opinion. I will select a random post and give out 2 free passes to Gold Club Centerfolds here in Cali.:D

I'm thinking about an additional 3000GT(97 or newer) to drive to work and around town during the week. Right now I can't be fussing with the stick while driving,(new things have developed in the workplace, my car is my office....in a way) so I need that 'luxury' so to say. This is not the performance car, not to be tweaked, just stock to impress clients with a few benifits added to the car.

My first intent is to put a fan cooled/trans cooler in place of that little one located on the passenger's side, to you know, save the tranny some. I know these trannies have mixed feelings with the group here about reliability, but can some of you attest to otherwise? Give me examples of what you do for maint, fluids, mods or success stories you have experienced.

Remember, there's free passes on the line here!:D
(Hehehe...ohh wait...can I do this? Is this like, a legal move here? Don't want to get into trouble or anything :eek: I'll take it down if this is not cool with everyone)

·
Hot Damn, here I am!
2,684 Posts
I ran my SL with an auto tranny with a 50 shot of NOS and it never broke. I just changed the fluid every 30K miles or less (couldn't hurt) and used normal Dexron/Mercon fluid. I did add a tranny cooler, the biggest I could possibly fit in there (yeah it was a bitch at first) and it cooled remarkably well. Actually I have instructions on my website (http://web.infoave.net/~ljlt) because I haven't taken my 3000GT stuff off there yet. It's under "How-To's" and I even made some diagrams. Mine didn't have the tranny cooler from the factory (it's optional) so it just had lines that just went out to the radiator and returned without ever hitting a cooler. Anyways, check out the site, it explains it STEP BY STEP so anyone can install a tranny cooler.

V

·
0 Posts
Here is the story of my 94 SL before:
Got it at 98,000miles,the tranny blew up at 114,000miles.Yes,
I abused it a lot.I don't know how many times the previous owner had replaced the tranny,but I did once.

When I sold it,the car had 130,000 miles,and the tranny seemed
fine.I think it would worth the money to buy tranny oil cooler.
Many people suggested that,but I prefer to sell the car,and upgrade to a VR4:)

My .02

·
92 Posts
I would recommend putting on a tranny cooler. It's probably the best thing you can do to a transmission, other than religiously changing the fluid and filter in the transmission. It really makes a difference in transmission temperature, after a long drive you can actually put your hand on the transmission without burning it. Installation is really easy too!!!! About the reliability of the auto trannies. They are actually pretty good. I've never had a problem with my tranny. The only problem I had was that the transmission failed before my warranty expired, but I was trying to wreck my transmission so I could get a new one. If you're getting a 97 or newer 3000, it shouldn't matter because you'll still be under the drivetrain warranty. If it does fail under warranty they have to replace the tranny with a brand new one.

·
Hot Damn, here I am!
2,684 Posts
Looping three would be a good idea if you could get three small ones and wanted to triple your risks of blowing a hose. :) But the more the better. More fluid capacity, so even more cooling too. Just don't forget that if you mount them in front of the radiator you might be blocking some of the air going to it. That's if you use two or more coolers.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
I hate my auto tranny SL. I feel like a pussy when I drive it. Anyways, my TPS is bad so the tranny pretty much has a mind of its own. It usually shifts at 4k rpm. The only way to hit redline is to shift manually. I have 88k miles on it and seems to be fine. I never race it though because it is useless.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Same as Sorny, except for the NOS part.

Over 227000 klicks on it, change fluid every 30K miles, no problems whatsoever, and just the little single-loop cooler thingy that goes by the radiator.

P.S., it's "alpha", not "alfa".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts