Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide on a distribution that'll run best on an Athlon cpu. It also needs to be streamlined and up to date. Also would like support for current X11, gnome, KDE, ReiserFS, etc.

It seems that one compiled w/ pgcc and i686 optimizations would be best. Does gcc now include pgcc's optimizations? If not, is there any difference in speed or stability between gcc or pgcc in i686 mode? I read somewhere that gcc was going to be replaced w/ ecgs, which pgcc is based on.

Anyone know of some good linux forums?

·
Hot Damn, here I am!
2,684 Posts
I'd choose SuSE, but that's just me. Maybe it's because I have some kind of respect (and fear) of german engineering. Whether it's cars or software. SuSE 7.3 should be out now. I'm using 6.1 on an older machine here and it works great. YaST is a good setup program without being to complicated/tedious or too Playschool-like either. Never cared for RedHat except for their RPM's... depends on what you want to do. Hardcore business? Might check Debian. Home computer? RedHat.

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Mandrake.

I believe it's out to version 8.1 now.

Very smooth, very well rounded.

Great for beginners, to intermediate experienced users with Linux. Includes all the necessary latest greatest toys, such as Gnome, and KDE.

Check it out. :)

oh, and I like their rendition of Tux best. :D

E

·
I need more cars
2,360 Posts
If you are a beginner and might struggle through an install, go with Mandrake.

If you wish to setup a solid system for long term use, use Debian hands down. Their cental package management system is far more advanced than RPMs and will make keeping your system updated simple. The install isn't as pretty as others, but how many times do you only do the install once given you don't mess the system up.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I'm not a beginner, but haven't used linux in years. Looking for a more advanced system that is compiled w/ pgcc and optimized for i686 processors. Otherwise, I would probably use Slackware. That's what I ran before.

Mandrake looks nice and was built w/ pgcc, but it's i586 optimized. And there was an Athlon-linux project, but it's gone. The Athlon-pgcc compiler exists (from that project), but doesn't look very complete.

·
I need more cars
2,360 Posts
slasher48 said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm not a beginner, but haven't used linux in years. Looking for a more advanced system that is compiled w/ pgcc and optimized for i686 processors. Otherwise, I would probably use Slackware. That's what I ran before.

Mandrake looks nice and was built w/ pgcc, but it's i586 optimized. And there was an Athlon-linux project, but it's gone. The Athlon-pgcc compiler exists (from that project), but doesn't look very complete.
If you are worried about what processor it is optimized for and what options are compiled in then don't. There are two main distinctions between linux distros. The install and the package management system. The kernel on all of them is the same. Your concerns only involve the kernel, so do this. Pick whatever distro you want, download the latest kernel, configure it, and compile it very easy.

mv linux-2.4.x.tar.bz2 /usr/src
bunzip2 linux-2.4.x.tar.bz2
tar fvx linux-2.4.x.tar
cd linux
make menuconfig (or make xconfig if you have X running)
---do all your config options, and exit config
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp System.map /boot
cd arch/i386/boot
cp bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.x
vi /etc/lilo.conf (or use your favorite editor)
---copy a block that points to the kernel file...image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.x, etc... and give it a new label
---make sure you keep your old kernel in case of problems
lilo
reboot

That's it. Just make sure when you boot up, you hit shift at the lilo prompt to get your choices of kernels to boot to.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Slackware!

and like said before, your only interested in the Kernel...

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
i use redhat at the moment.
i've used mandrake and slackware in the past.
i will be moving to debian soon.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
True, I am concerned with the kernel, and have built them before. Another concern is the speed which all programs execute. Kernel optimizations are great, but I'm looking for maximum efficiency and performance in the entire distribution (of course, the kernel is going to affect everything).

The compiler and optimizations used to compile the source for *everything* in the distribution will determine how the code is organized and what instructions will be used in each specific program. This can greatly affect performance.

I'd like all the programs (exp. X) to be compiled to take advantage of faster instructions (i.e. i686).

·
OG *** Member
2,742 Posts
sounds more like you should take a base distro, strip it down to the bones, setup your compiler optimization parameters then rebuild the kerenl & apps to personal specs.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
>sounds more like you should take a base distro, strip it down to the bones, setup your compiler optimization parameters then rebuild the kerenl & apps to personal specs.

There are distributions like Beehive that are compiled w/ 686 optimizations, but lack some software and documentation. So, I might have to go w/ a base distro like that and do some manual installs. Just don't know which ones were compiled w/ pgcc and have a good software base.

·
I need more cars
2,360 Posts
You may also want to look into FreeBSD. FreeBSD has the infamous "make world" where your entire system including kernel and applications can be compiled with whatever options you want. Just an easy way to optimize everything.

Of course, all the source is out there for linux. Its just that most distros are geared toward installing libraries.

·
I need more cars
2,360 Posts
You may also want to look into FreeBSD. FreeBSD has the infamous "make world" where your entire system including kernel and applications can be compiled with whatever options you want. Just an easy way to optimize everything.

Of course, all the source is out there for linux. Its just that most distros are geared toward installing binaries.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
lfs - linux from scratch

If you're a fairly advanced linux user, I would highly recommend
www.linuxfromscratch.org
full instructions on how to build a linux system from the ground up (using an existing running system)
in other words, no install, no un-necessary software, everything you want, compiled how you want.
It's a PITA to get running, but well worth it.

~matt

·
Registered
720 Posts
If I had the choice, in this order...

FreeBSD
SuSE
Slackware

base install, recompile kernal, go hunt and install the apps you want... compile and optimize each for what you want...

Easy enough... BTW GCC on a 1gig is plenty fast...

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
And no distribution is complete with out <a href="http://gaim.sf.net/">gaim</a> or <a href="http://www.gnophone.com">GnoPhone</a>. :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
GAAAAIIIIIIMMMMM...

I've heard of that... Lemme have a bite of that :)

Whatever happened to that lawsuit?

Why is it all linux dorks skwish gnu into their product name? Wouldn't it be easier to just put it in a category like...

oh, I dunno...

"GNO Windows"? :)

heheh...

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
Actually, The 'G' in Gaim doesnt stand for GNU.

Gaim's just a word: Gaim. It doeesn't stand for anything. =)

The legal issues are still ongoing. I've been asked to not talk about it. All I can say is that our lawyers (stanford Schol of Law) and AOL's Lawyers (Arent Fox) are in talks with each other. I'll definately post more information as soon as I can.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts