Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!! Check this out--- I got a speeding ticket bout two months ago on my way to school. I live in a rural town about 25 miles from Saint Louis. I was doing 87 mph in a 55 mph zone. Nobody was in my lane in either direction for as far as i could see. There was a minivan coming at me and a state cop was tailgating him so I couldn't see him. I saw the cop at the last minute and dropped gears quick to slow down. He braked and kicked on his cherries and came around. I slowed and stopped and he gave me a ticket which he told me was going to be $105. He also said I had to go before a judge. I went to court today and he wouldn't put me on supervision. In addition, I was charged $125 for the ticket and $91 for court fees for the three minutes I stood before the judge. I paid the $216 and went to school. I realized that one of my friends had the exact same situation where she was pulled over in the exact same spot doing 91 in a 55 zone. She went to court and she was fined a total of $95 including ticket and court fees!!! I have the pics of my ticket and receipt as well as her ticket and receipt. Needless to say this is bullshit and my father is taking all this info to his lawyer tommorow. What do you all think???

·
Registered
497 Posts
blow them up, i left my magnifying glass home

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Call your local newspaper & TV station then contact these guys
http://www.motorists.com They can help :) They love kicking Ass

·
Registered
542 Posts
What's up. I feel your pain. I got busted in a lidar (read laser) trap going 88 in a 55, and my court date is tomorrow. Difference is, I got a lawyer who is getting it reduced to 65 in a 55, and getting me traffic school (a one day class), no court supervision necessary, and it will be erased from my record the day that I take the course. :cool: Now THAT is 150 well spent. Dunno what to tell ya dude, I'd try to take them to court, but only if you have enough physical evidence. You won't win a damn thing if you go in with only the argument that it "isn't fair."

Matt

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yah, thats good for you. i guess though if OJ Simpson can get off for murder and road rage, then anybody can get off for just about anything!!! what year is your car for sale?? how much do you want?? my uncle lives in Carol Stream........ maybe interested. do you got any pics???

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yep, and now it's 99% perfect. Still has the usual wear on the left of the driver's seat, and.... um.... i dunno, but there might be something else. I took it to a body shop that does show cars and they pulled any dents and re-sprayed the whole front end, so there isn't even any rock chips now! I also had the mitsu regional tech work on the clutch. He pulled it all apart, re aligned it, and adjusted it, and it works perfect!! Too bad I didn't have it done a long time ago....:(

Matt

·
In charge
1,814 Posts
You can count on the justice system being unfair. Race, gender, the judge having his/her panties in a bunch - it all amounts to unfair application of the law. Go to the pappers with a well written editorial and see what you can do about making sure that judge isn't ellected again.

·
Senior Member "Go Pig Go"
3,086 Posts
next time you get pull over...plead not guilty.....file a motion of dicovery with the county clerk.....this will require the state to bring the certificate of calibration for the radar gun.....the documentation saying that the officer is certified to use the said radar gun......paper work concerning the equipment used to calibrate the radar gun...and various other paperwork.....basically they have to find a shit load of paper work that will cost them more money too look up then they would make from you if you had to pay the ticket. More times than not they would be able to find some but not all of the paper work or some of the documents will be out of date.....this would make it easy for you to petition to have the case dismissed.

good luck this should help next time.....

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Re: Oh BOY!!!

Record9ti said:
Here we go with Matt selling his car again..............:eek:
*sigh*

:rolleyes:

Hope this doesn't turn into some massive thread like last time, which just ultimately gets deleted because someone doesn't like the way it turns out.

As for the topic at hand, I believe that although the penalties are a bit harsh, I still abide by the 'if you're going to play, you have to be willing to pay'.

You lost when you played the game. He nailed you, fair and square. You admit there was no one around you in your direction of traffic that could be mistaken, and you admit you were speeding.

Fess up, pay the fines, and chalk one up for them. Then learn to play smarter.

Oh, and court fees typically are about a hundred, depending upon state and county jurisdiction. So that total of $200 is not out of line. Hell, in some areas out near NYC, doing that speed will cause you to LOSE your LICENSE for 45 days,(30 over the limit is considered reckless endangerment in NJ) PLUS hundreds in fines, PLUS hundreds in court costs. So keep that in mind.

Elton

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Re: Re: Oh BOY!!!

Elmo said:

You lost when you played the game. He nailed you, fair and square. You admit there was no one around you in your direction of traffic that could be mistaken, and you admit you were speeding.
Sorry but there is precious little fair about speed limits in the US. They r not there for your safety. They r a sneaky, scummy, underhanded way to get more tax $ out fo your pocket. Has nothing to do with safety, everything to do with $

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Oh BOY!!!

countach said:

Sorry but there is precious little fair about speed limits in the US. They r not there for your safety. They r a sneaky, scummy, underhanded way to get more tax $ out fo your pocket. Has nothing to do with safety, everything to do with $
In some ways, I agree. But that's part of the accepted rules. If you want to drive on the highways, you have to accept those rules in my opinion.

If the public doesn't like it, they cry out and the limit gets raised.

Hence, the prevelance of 65 mph limits all over the east coast appearing now.

Oh wait, I forgot, parts of Illinois are still run by mobsters :p no chance that they'd ever let easy revenue like that out of their hands. Hell, that's why none of the citizens will ever be allowed to carry weapons either; a citizenry in fear, is an easy public to manipulate.

Either way, I still feel that if you don't have legitimate claim that invalidates the ticket, ie, there was another car passing you, there were too many cars to get a fair and direct reading, etc... then you should pay the fine. Especially if you know that you were speeding.

Just my opinion.

Elton

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
first off, the stupid cop was tailgating a minivan coming at me. second, the whole topic of this thread is to show bout how the damn judge charged me almost two times that of a friend who was pulled over going faster than i was on that exact spot. No shit i was guilty. why the hell did i plead guilty then??? and what is that stupid shit about a game??? thats the dummest thing i have ever heard of. I was speeding because i felt like it. the road i was on was empty, its a flat straight away and i did get caught. it don't matter now that its all over. also, the speed limit in michigan, missouri, and probably kanasas are all 70+ in many areas, not nationwide 65.

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
LonewolfDJ said:
first off, the stupid cop was tailgating a minivan coming at me. second, the whole topic of this thread is to show bout how the damn judge charged me almost two times that of a friend who was pulled over going faster than i was on that exact spot. No shit i was guilty. why the hell did i plead guilty then??? and what is that stupid shit about a game??? thats the dummest thing i have ever heard of. I was speeding because i felt like it. the road i was on was empty, its a flat straight away and i did get caught. it don't matter now that its all over. also, the speed limit in michigan, missouri, and probably kanasas are all 70+ in many areas, not nationwide 65.
Take it easy Lonewolf. I never said anything you did was 'wrong' I feel for you, and the retardedness that the judicial system has put you through, unfairly.

The game I'm referring to is speeding in excess of posted limits. It all boils down to just that. They have rules they set forth, and we want to break them. They will try whatever they can to catch us, and we will do and equip ourselves with just about anything we can, to get away with it. To me, that's a game.

I also don't discount that you were treated unfairly. That happens. ALOT. I know MANY females that get nailed on the highway, only to play the innocent cutesy girl in the courtroom, and get off with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. I never said that the courts were fair, or even remotely as impartial as they should be.

All I'm saying is, before and now, after this is all said and done, you pay whatever you are required to pay, and do whatever time/redemption things are needed, you'll hopefully play this 'game' more carefully. An empty road can be a dangerous place to speed heavily. I always use someone as a point man when I drive beyond 20 over the limit. (tacky civics are GREAT for this purpose)

Even though this is a free country, we're not allowed to go whatever speed we want on the highways. So, for me, I have learned tactics to avoid being caught.

If you want to drive whatever speed you want, whenever the road allows, Illinois is NOT the state to be in. :(

My basic thoughts on this were, get past this incident, even though it's bullcrap, with a hopefully better understanding of how to not get caught next time. (ie, find a turkey to cover you :p )

Hope it all works out one way or another.

Good luck dude.

Elton

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i agree with you on that. the thing is that most of the cops in il (highway patrol) can be assholes. i have seen them run after a car in the front of the pack of like 10 and i have him seen him pick out one in the middle because its a sports car. its all bullshit and my father's lawyer is going to represent me if i have any other problems.... i agree with you about the speeding shit but i can't afford to be the one getting pulled out of the pack because i have a nice red sports car and because i'm 17!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.