Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
Looks like we're finally ready to Rock-n-Roll

In response to my thread for the large SMIC's I'm proud to offer these to the community. These intercoolers are made from BELL cores with a size of 8" x 4.5" x 8.1" with a cfm of 683 per core, along with custom end tanks that I designed. With these intercooler you'll be able to use your stock ducting and I've also included some custom brackets to move the oem oil cooler back and down a little for clearance.
There's a couple of things you will have to do to make these work on your car. First is the ABS bottom shield has to cut for clearance for the upper pipe. This is thin material so it's easy to cut. I haven't tried it as I already cut mine but you might be able to just bend it out of the way. Actually I can test it on my '97 once I fab up the next set. The other thing is you'll need to transfer the rubber isolators off your old side mounts to these new ones.
With these intercoolers there are many pipe options I would like to offer. But basically these are what I have come up with. Anything else you might need please don't hesitate to ask.

I'll be listing the pricing with the difference piping options but all come with the same Bell cores. Pricing does not included shipping. I will calculate that at time of shipping based on zip as prices vary to much with the weight of the box.

All kits have piping configuration like oem...see pic below.

Kit 1: 1 3/4" piping (used with DNP) New Price +10% = $1045

Kit 2: 1 3/4" piping with 1 5/8' reducers welded on for oem setups or CXRacing setups)- New Price +10% = $1112

Kit 3: 2" Piping - New Price +10% = $1112
(Please Note: I have to confirm I'll be ale to enlarge the opening in the end tanks from 1 3/4" to 2")

For right now I want to get a list going. I'll have to figure out the turn-around but I'm hoping to make at least 1 or 2 per week as I do have to keep the wife happy :)

I will require a $500 deposit with balance due at time of shipping. I will only be taking deposits for 3 orders at a time when I'm ready to start your order. So first come first served with no worries.

1:
2:
3:

·
Drives a 1997 VR4.
1,573 Posts
Amazing and sweet! Price is spot on! What modifications are necessary in order to make these fit? I see a dremel cut in your car...

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mentioned it about but the only thing that needs to be done to trimming the bottom ABS shield of which I'll confirm that tonight.

Amazing and sweet! Price is spot on! What modifications are necessary in order to make these fit? I see a dremel cut in your car...

·
Registered
542 Posts
would these be way overkill for 15Gs?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
It may just be the angle, but the driver side appears to have one of the pipes going through the A/C drier hole

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably just the angle. These end same as the oem pipes do in that location on either side of the ac drier.

It may just be the angle, but the driver side appears to have one of the pipes going through the A/C drier hole

Each one of the Bell intercoolers flow 683 cfm. CXRacing doesn't post any flow numbers on their IC's so it's to hard to tell. I searched as I thought someone posted cfm numbers for DR750's which these were perfect for but I couldn't find them, big help I know....sorry.
Bob, how do these compare to your FMIC core CFM wise?

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Did Ray ever test these on his car on the the dyno?

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just dropped off a set for him on Saturday. He wanted to do a true back to back runs on the dyno. Dyno car as is and swap out the intercoolers and dyno again. Hopefully he can get to this week sometime.

Did Ray ever test these on his car on the the dyno?

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I knew the cfm ratings I can give you that answer. If someone else knows how to caculate this please chime in. I can tell you that the Bell intercooler are the best flowing ones out there. But in terms of size I can.

Dug this info up from my DualCore FMIC thread

DSM SMIC IC's -6 x 8 x 3-7/8" thick for a volume of 186 cu. in. each x 2 = 372 cu. in. total

DualCore FMIC - 363 cu. in. each x 2 = 726 cu. in. total

oohnoo large SMIC's 4.5 x 8 x 8.1 @ 291 x 2 = 583.2 cu. in.

Bob, in terms of CFM, how do these compare to DSM SMIC that's been properly converted?

·
One fix at a time
7,917 Posts
Awesome product. Well worth it. This is what I wanted to make but never got around to it. I think I'd definitely buy these for any TD04 setup.

·
Registered
314 Posts
What is a rough estimate on production times? Im not in a rush I just need to know how long I have to get together the other half of the payment.

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like very little has to be trimmed. I did a quick test fit on my '97 and it looks like you'll only have to trim the corner edge. You can see in the pics how close it is but it was hard to get good pic as it wasn't jacked up or anything. Ray will confirm as he's installing a set so once he does I'll know more.

Hi Bob, I want to take a Kit #2 but would like to see more detail on trimming the ABS mounting.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts