Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

only boosting to 7psi after installing egr blockoff plates

593 views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  jeff97vr4 
#1 ·
ok so yesterday i installed the egr blockoff plates and now am only boosting to 7psi. did i do something wrong? all i did was remove the egr valve, blockoff the vacuum lines, and blocked off the egr tube. after the install i put the tube back on and reconnected the vacuum lines and still the same thing. so i am gonna put the egr valve back on and see if that fixes the problem. it could just be that i blew a turbo at the same time of the install. any info would help.

thanks

#2 ·
sounds like you might have pulled a line off of the wastegates to the boost solenoid. Check and make sure the lines coming from the wastegates are all connected.
I'd start there.
good luck,

#3 ·
the vacuum lines that go to the wastegate for the rear turbo are ok. i even put vacuum to the wastegate to make sure that it was good and it was holding vacuum properly. does the egr have any effect on the rear turbo. does it effect the reciculating of the exhaust gases back into the engine for the rear turbo? also am i suppossed to leave the egr are on the car because i removed it totally i just put the plate on the manifold and cut the wires for the thermistor and plugged the vacuum lines.

thanks

#4 ·
maybe you plugged a wrong vacuum line?

#5 ·
If you are at 7 psi, that is what the wastegates regulate at if the wastegate solenoid is bypassed and the wastegates are connected directly to the y-pipe. You may have reversed some of the lines. It sounds like your wastegates are working. If they were not hooked up, you would see very high pressure below 4K rpm, even with 9b's.

Jeff

#6 ·
EGR doesn't have any effect on the turbo. You almost had to have plugged, unplugged, cut, or removed a wrong vacuum line.
always the possibility that you just bumped a line off too...you never know.
Its just gonna be a game of trial and error it looks like. I'd start at the boost solenoid and follow each line once, twice, and three times for fun ;)
good luck,

#7 ·
you definately plugged the wrong line. if you were to have knocked a hose loose you would be spiking up to 20psi and you would feel the increase in power and then shortly thereafter the demise of your engine. but if you block it off the wastegates are going at their stock preset value. re-check the hoses you plugged is my suggestion

#8 ·
well i think i found the problem. there is a small crack on the seam of the y-pipe. so i guess i need to start with this first. hopefully this will solve the problem. thanks for all your guys help

#9 ·
also am i suppossed to leave the egr are on the car because i removed it totally i just put the plate on the manifold and cut the wires for the thermistor and plugged the vacuum lines.
Can you just cut the wires for the thermistor in order to prevent a CEL due to inoperative EGR? I was going to do this on my friend's '95, but that's the only reservation I have (causing a CEL due to removal).

What's the verdict?

-Chris Wood

#12 ·
ok so i just installed my new y-pipe thinking that was the problem having a small crack. it didn't help...the car is still boosting only to 7psi. if anyone else has any suggestions on things to check it would help.
thanks

#14 ·
yeah i did and it didn't doing anything. i talked to mike at AAM and he said that i should disconnect all the vacuum lines to the wastegates so they would run open and if they are working fine then the car will just keep boosting. so i need to try that and i am gonna pull vacuum to the manual boost controller that i have to make sure that it is working ok. thanks for the help.....if you have any other thoughts that would be good

#15 ·
If you look under the hood, there should be a sticker with the vacuum diagrams on it. If not you can search and probably find one.

I'd take out the MBC, leave the EGR blocked off and REMOVE and INSPECT ALL the vacuum lines. After all are satisfactory, reinstall them one at a time until they are all hooked up, including the ones for the EGR.*Make sure you hook up the stock boost solenoid*. You should hit about 10-12 psi if everythings working properly (use an aftermarket boost gauge).

If everythings back to normal, then remove and cap off only the EGR vac lines. If everything's still okay, then install the MBC again.

My 2 cents.

Good Luck

#17 ·
well i finally found out what is wrong with the car. i found that the front wastegate is not holding vacuum. i assume that the spring inside went bad or the diaphram went bad. so looks like i will be getting new turbo's

#18 ·
If the only part that is bad is a wastegate regulator, it would be cheaper to replace just that part. In fact, some of the tuner's turbos do not come with the regulator so you would still have to replace the part. Something to think about and check if you go shopping for new turbos.

Jeff

#19 ·
well i had planned on upgrading my turbo's so i guess that this will be a good time to replace them. but it is something to think about......i guess i will have to find out if the turbo's i will get come with the new wastegates. thanks for the tip

#22 ·
thanks for the help guys....hopefully everything will workout with the turbo's. also have any of you guys ever replaced the turbo's....how much time do you think it will take.

jason

#24 ·
TT Stealth81381 said:
thanks for the help guys....hopefully everything will workout with the turbo's. also have any of you guys ever replaced the turbo's....how much time do you think it will take.

jason
If its your first time, I'd say about 2 hrs to remove the front one; just remove front intercooler pipes, radiator & fans, any heat shields that may be on there, then unbolt the precat from the downpipe (leaving it still attached to the turbo) unbolt the oil return line from the oil pan (leave the line attached to the turbo also), the oil feed line, the water lines, and the 3 bolts holding it to the exh manifold. Figure an hour and a half to put it all back together if its your first time.

The rear turbo is actually easier, as there is less stuff in the way.
Remove I/C hoses, any heat shield/EGR stuff in the way, vac lines that are in the way, unbolt precat from d.p, oil return line from oil pan, all water lines and oil feed line, and its pretty much out.

Have an assortment of deep sockets and extensions and you should be okay. Figure a weekend you can replace both, and thats working slow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.