Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just dug this up on their website.

"I would like to confirm that your device brought some nice improvement to the performance of my non-turbo Mitsubishi 3000GT.After 30K miles, I noticed that my engine needed a little lift-up. Nominal horsepower rating for this car is 218 hp. Without running any dyno test, I can easily feel maybe up to 10% power increase and the engine definitely breathes better.

Best Regards, Oliver Garreau - Electronics Engineer

So, does anyone know this guy?

Does he even exist?

Does the SpiralMax work?

Does the SpiralMax exist?

Do I exist?

So many unanswered questions it's just too tempting to go and buy one.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Here come the troops.... :p

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
1st Platoon reporting!

• Any "spin" or swirl induced by the device would not continue down the length of the intake turbe, much less the individual plenum runners.

• If that's all it took to add 10% more HP, don't you think the automakers would have figured it out years ago?

• If anything, it's a restriction in the intake. You just closed off 30% of the available intake path with that thing.

It belongs in the same category as the magnetic "fuel atom straightners" and should be advertised only in the back of the Enquirer.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
LMAO:D ...That shit will not work man...it is a basic fact that anything or any turns in your air passage will restrict flow. The best flow is straight through flow. ;)

·
Spooling.......
718 Posts
if ya think about it... isnt the spiral max messing up your air/fuel mixture? from the MAS unit, through the honeycomb, air is straitend and stablalized, and that air amount is calculated by the MAS, and an equal amount of fuel is sent to meet that air in the chambers. Now, if those spiral things hinder the airflow down the line, wont that cause some problems?

am i making any sense? :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
it looks to me to be more of an inlet restriction than anything else.

if it works so great, wouldn't we be able to put one in the exhaust, to make the swirl thing happen and help scavenge the exhaust out of the motor?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
476 Posts
vERTICAL dROP said:
it looks to me to be more of an inlet restriction than anything else.

if it works so great, wouldn't we be able to put one in the exhaust, to make the swirl thing happen and help scavenge the exhaust out of the motor?:rolleyes:
they actually do have those. :rolleyes: called the turbulator or something dumb...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
funny this is brought up...

Ok, don't think I'm crazy or some idiot by saying this stuff but heres an actual experience with this thing. Here's the little story to go along with it:
An older buddy of mine that owns a remodeling/construction company (called C&Z for anybody that knows of it) is a pretty hard core "car guy". Here's whats in his garage....2000 Mercedes S class, 2000 hummer (yellow), 96 Vette ZR1 with 1,800 miles, 2000 Viper GTS which is at Lingenfelter right now for a 730 ft/lb of torque (naturally aspirated) $43,000 mod, 99 Vette conv., and to top it all off, he just got the last Lamborghini Diablo (yellow) that will ever be made (paperwork from Lamborghini for verification) since 2001 will be the last year of the Diablo.--and I rode in it :D
But anyway, my best friend also has 2001 Vette. This guy with all the cars just the other day decided to get rid of his 99 Vette, so he's taking the few mods he has on it off. He told my friend he'd sell him some of the parts "dirt cheap"...like an intake and stuff. Well the Spiralmax just happened to be one of the things he had sitting on the bench that he was getting rid of. When he held it up and said, "this thing is amazing...etc.." we both kinda laughed and he said, "i'm serious...etc.." He went on to say about how he's bought $2,000 exhaust systems that haven't made as much of a difference. So my buddy buys this thing for $20. We threw it in that night and went out and I'm telling you in all seriousness it actually does work. I'm not joking. Not like bolting a supercharger up or anything but you can feel a difference through the whole powerband. You can also kind of hear it when your driving beside him....sounds like a miniature turbo if your really listening.
Now, this was all "tested" in his Vette, but still. It does actually work. I don't know about the gas mileage or anything...(its only been a few days). But they do improve the performance.
I appologize about the length but i thought it was all either necessary or just added some spice to the story :)
Mark
p.s. We also installed the spiralmax right AT the throttle body instead of about a foot or two down the intake tubing where spiralmax recommends for installation. For the simple reason that someone else said on the other post about the "spiralled tubing" (that seems to be on all intakes) would mess the airflow up by the time it would get to the throttle body anyway.

·
Gear Head
3,262 Posts
The only way can see this working any amount of difference what so ever on a car is if the car has an over sized intake diameter so that its intake charge velosity is so slow that the fuel doesn't atomize well on a TBI or carb engine. We have PFI and our intake track can get pretty restrictive once we turn up the boost. Maybe they work for a Whorvette but they won't for a PFI car especially a turbo car. These things are supposed to induce more of a "swirl effect". The "swirl" creates more tubulance which in turn better atomizes the fuel and gives better milage and power. BUT TURBULANCE IS ONLY BENIFICIAL AT LOWER RPMS!!!! You know like the low redline domestics (Whorvette, Craparo, and Pusstang.) As rpms increase you want less turbulance and greater flow so you can move the intake charge in and out faster. Which means no time for this "swirl" non-sense. In higher rpms this POS in going to be a burden. I can only see it making a differance in a car with very very poor atomization (large intake with either TBI or carb.) I would like to see some hard evidence, such as a dyno chart, from anyone who says other wise. Untill then, don't embarass yourself but letting the world know of your ignorance.

PS- We don't want to hear about the 15 bhp spark plugs, oil additive, or blinker light fluid either.... ;)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Hey DUDE (Bret),
How about this......how about you chill out!! WTF. Ok, first of all it has nothing to do with "embarrasment" at all. I don't know where your pulling that from, but I'm not "embarrassed" by anything I said. I truly appreciate you clarifying how these things are designed to work, but I already understand that. As far as the dyno charts....Yeahhh, OK I'll fax those right over to you....I'll get right on it :eek: I appologize for not having any dyno runs to satisfy your disbelief and rudeness. I do think your a little out of line with some of your comments though. I'm not an idiot, nor am I a liar. I just thought I'd share a "real experience" with other members. You don't have to believe me, I don't really care....geeze. But do me a favor and lose the attitude. I didn't post with intentions to argue with anybody or I would have made it clear.
This is a perfect example of why I don't take my cars to the dealers to work on them......look at the attitude and disrespect you get. (although that doesn't apply to all dealer techs).
If it makes you that mad then write to Spiralmax or something, not me. :confused:
**** I appologize to everybody else for this post, but I thought that response was rude and totally uncalled for.
later,
Mark

·
Gear Head
3,262 Posts
I was just joking around. Take it easy man. My comments weren't directed toward you but the subject at hand. I ment no disrespect. Just starting some conversation to help spice things up some more. Your not the only person I've heard of that clams these work, or some of them work, or what ever. I've heard it from a few others. I think maybe some brands of swirlly thingys work with some cars but not others. I would, however, like to see some conclusive dyno charts or time slips or something. I don't even my my seat of the pants testing. The only test I've ever heard of was the one done by SCC and it was inconclusive for several reasons (40whp on a Civic DX for crying out loud! I'm so sure!). I just want someone, I don't care who, to post some numbers I can pick at so it can be put to rest.

To tell you the truth I wouldn't take my car to the Mitsu dealer to save my life! Nor the Dodge dealer that I work at now. Mitsu has blown every job I have ever taken my in for so far. And I'm the only tech at Dodge I trust to work on my car. I don't blame you man. If they don't treat you like a dummy then they screw up. (You talk to the service advisors not the techs.) I highly recommend doing everything yourself. That way you know it is done right the first time. You really learn a lot about the car too.

PS- I ordered some exhaust gaskets for my car that were supposed to come in today. Well, the packaging came in but the wrong stuff was in the packageing!! I don't know what in God's name that was (washer fluid line t-coupleing???) but it wasn't an exhuast gasket. That's the dealer for ya. All this trash about the dealer. And I work there! What does that tell ya? Go figure, huh? There own employee... Please don't go to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I appologize for coming off like that, but it sure did seem to be directed towards me, thats all. And the whole dealer "talk" was intentionally thrown in there IRONICALLY (wink, wink), because I saw it in your profile. But trust me, I do all my own work....Except for tire balancing, mounting, and allignment. I worked at a garage for quite some time myself. ;)
Later,
Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts