Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, please bare with me, not sure if this is the right place to post but here my question in short form. I have a 1991 3000GT SL with 55k on it I bought about 3 years ago. When i bought it it had rpm issues, I put in a new ecu and it ran like a champ until one day driving it sputtered a couple of times and died.
Unfortunately not too long after that I was driving in another vehicle and someone ran a stop sign and T-boned me, almost killed me, after lots of surgery and metal implants I was able to walk again but the GT sat in my driveway for 2 years, I can no longer do car repairs and been going crazy with it sitting there.
My ecu gives no error codes, the led just flashes and an analog meter just swipes like normal. I tried an used ecu off eBay and still wouldnt Start, it turns over fine but the new ecu had error code of throttle position, put the old ecu back in car cranks over but no error codes again, I just bought another ecu and I am going to try it tomorrow but i have a bad feeling about it.
I love this car but I can’t repair it physically anymore if I do come up with a legit error code. I’m looking for someone in the Maryland area that could come fix it so I can sell it running and not as is. I hate to get rid of it but in future I cant maintain it. It was near mint and all original when it stopped running.
Now it’s starting to weather, it’s not rusty at all or banged up. Looking for someone that appreciates these cars to help fix or sell, willing to pay %20 of the selling cost but I really want to see it go to a real 3000gt lover and not a kid that will rag it out.
I have severe head and body issues, in the past this would be an easy repair for me but now doing simple fuel, ignition...troubleshooting I just can’t do on this car. Would love to trade for an early 80s Camaro, that I could maintain in the future but this 3000GT is too sophisticated for me now. Loved my imports growing up but time to move on. Any info would be appreciated.
Sorry I posted this in this section but didn’t know where to start, desperate. Thx

·
Premium Member
5,840 Posts
Fuel probably gummed up after sitting for so long. Fortunately there is a fuel plug on the bottom of the fuel tank.

My guess is that your engine coolant temperature sensor went bad and made your car stall out and die. Restarting the engine will be almost impossible with that failed sensor. The Engine ECU will not give you an error code for it, because it will think it's -40F below or whatever, and considers it valid. We a have multiple coolant sensors/switch on our cars, one for your dashboard, one for the automatic climate control, one for your engine ECU.

Also, if your MAF has gone bad, you can simply unplug it, the engine ECU will go into limp mode but still be driveable. A bad MAF can make the engine not run. Do not unplug / plug in the MAF with the engine running.

·
Premium Member
5,840 Posts
I forgot to add that, if unplugging the MAF makes your car run again, it could also indicate a major air intake leak, and not just a bad MAF.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts