Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Finally have time again to start working on this. Its been probably 10 years at this point since I’ve worked on it. The problem right now is it’ll start but die right away and it’s doing this every time. It’s almost like the fuel cuts out as soon as it turns on. It could be something stupid but I’m not really sure.

• Fuel pump is hot wired, click start mod is in, fuel pump relay 2 is hot wired.
  • arc2
  • 550cc injectors
  • duel fuel line kit, I believe bob something or other made it on here years ago.
  • vacuum mod reduction
not sure what else is helpful. I think i’m close given that it’s starting literally every time I turn it on. It just won’t stay there.

thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ARC2 plugged in. I can check the wiring but should be fine.

I knew I forgot something. I have the ARC2-GP conversion.

As far as I can remember, this was running before I put it in storage. It does have newer fuel so I don’t think that is the problem either. This was such a long time ago it’s hard to remember now. I feel like I got the car into the street to have the tow truck take it over to the storage unit. But I seem to remember needing to have it pushed into the storage unit. I wonder if something came loose when it was being taken over there.

There aren’t too many things that should be causing this. There is definitely gas and spark since it’s starting, and sounds normal from what I can tell for the first couple seconds. Where does the electronics kick over to idle vs startup?

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,728 Posts
Lets dispense with the obvious questions first:

1) What year is the car and is the ECU the original (no rebuild)?
2) When you turn the key to the ON position, does the CHECK ENGINE light come on (if it does NOT, sure sign of an ECU issue).

Bob.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
What are your settings on the Arc-2? Are you using the stock MAF or the arc-2 ford MAF?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lets dispense with the obvious questions first:

1) What year is the car and is the ECU the original (no rebuild)?
2) When you turn the key to the ON position, does the CHECK ENGINE light come on (if it does NOT, sure sign of an ECU issue).

Bob.
93 vr4 original ECU no rebuild.
yes the check engine light does turn on.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are your settings on the Arc-2? Are you using the stock MAF or the arc-2 ford MAF?
Ford MAF and same settings that are on Jeff’s page. Stealth 316 - ARC2 Tuning tips

For Denso 550 cc/min injectors and 15G turbos and Granatelli 87-mm MAS.
LOW
+4%​
(+2 clks or "1:00")
MID
-14%​
(-7 clks or "8:30")
HIGH
-2%​
(-1 clk or "11:30")
ACCEL
+2%​
(+1 clk) ---> 1st model!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I would also double check wiring to the ECU. The arc-2 should light up red, so thats the first thing I would check. the MAF may be bad, theres not a great way to test that though, you could try unplugging it and see if it runs but my mind cant grasp the concept around how the ford MAF talks to the car so no idea if that will work. If you have a stock MAF you could try to hook that up and disconnect the purple and gray wires. that go from the arc-2 to the ECU.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,728 Posts
I would still pull the ECU and check for leaking/bulging capacitors.
That ECU (and it's crappy capacitors) are 27 yrs old.
Good chance they have failed.

Just my .02

Bob.

Reactions: white93gt

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
^^ sounds like a good thing to do while checking the arc 2 wiring.

I guess the biggest quesiton I have is....was the car ever running on its current setup?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,

Finally have time again to start working on this. Its been probably 10 years at this point since I’ve worked on it. The problem right now is it’ll start but die right away and it’s doing this every time. It’s almost like the fuel cuts out as soon as it turns on. It could be something stupid but I’m not really sure.

• Fuel pump is hot wired, click start mod is in, fuel pump relay 2 is hot wired.
  • arc2
  • 550cc injectors
  • duel fuel line kit, I believe bob something or other made it on here years ago.
  • vacuum mod reduction
not sure what else is helpful. I think i’m close given that it’s starting literally every time I turn it on. It just won’t stay there.

thanks everyone.
Have you looked at the fuel relay connection inside the car on the passengers side console under the carpet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up a 91 Stealth ES, I had trouble figuring out idle problems and smoking, after I rebuilt the motor. I found the majority of the problems were fixed after removing the ECU cleaning the corrosion and leaking capacitor juice off the circuit board. I still need to send it out for rebuild, but wouldn’t hurt for you to look at that possibility.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would still pull the ECU and check for leaking/bulging capacitors.
That ECU (and it's crappy capacitors) are 27 yrs old.
Good chance they have failed.

Just my .02

Bob.
here you go I don’t think there is anything wrong with it. However I did start going through all the ignition stuff in the manual and I’m not getting any resistance on the coils. The main coil pack is good and so we’re the wires, but there is no resistance on the three coil packs. So unless I’m really missing something I think I’m going to replace that. That somewhat lines up with it firing for a second and dying.

thoughts?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^ sounds like a good thing to do while checking the arc 2 wiring.

I guess the biggest quesiton I have is....was the car ever running on its current setup?
yeah it did. It ran fine, I mean from what I remember. The biggest thing I can remember is that we took it to storage and I know I had to push it in once it got off the trailer and it hasn’t ran since.

But it did run all that time ago.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,149 Posts
Looking at your ECU and seeing you have a ’93, I believe OhioSpyderman (Bob) was on the right track in his #9 post. Even though I can’t see anything obvious in pictures you posted, I can tell those are the original capacitors. I can also tell you they can fail without any visual references, if bulged or leaking that just makes the diagnoses easier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts