Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. I came across an outstanding deal on turbos... but they need rebuilding. How possible would it be for me to rebuild them myself? Keep in mind I'm very mechanically inclined (timing belt and water pump replacement myself, tranny swap mostly by myself, etc.. and all without a manual).. Where would I start? what would I have to buy?

On the other hand.. how much does it cost for a pro to do it?

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh, and by the way.. they aren't stock :) I'm not sure yet what size they are...

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
really not too bad... seriously

I think texas turbochargers and turbochargers.com have replacement cartridges for sale...

pop it apart, replace, port the crap outta it... done.

·
Dare to be Stupid
2,739 Posts
I think the rebuild kit is around $150. Can't remember if that's each or both, and I think it comes with a video.

·
IDIC
4,390 Posts
Okay guys.. don't laugh
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
oh..sorry :)

if the rebuild doesn't work out, or they're just too trashed to rebuild, drop me a line..i want a busted turbo to play with. Good luck though :)

-Aaron
'94 R/T TT
'95 VR-4 Spyder
'95 Pearl Yellow R/T (belongs to Mom)

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ttt

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
92StealthTT said:
and I think it comes with a video.
Ahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahha. Just the thought of that makes me laugh. Ahahahahhahahahahahhahaha.

"And now you, in the privacy of your own home, can rebuild turbos with the Sally Struthers Turbo Rebuild Kit©."

·
Life begins @ 30psi
1,089 Posts
Depends on what's wrong with the turbo's. Sure anyone can put new seals and bearings in them. But do you know if the shaft is bent? Housings have cracks in them? Both of which you cant find out or fix if discovered. Then they need to be VSRV balanced when they're done. It's up to you though.

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok.. some more info. They are stock turbos, that have had the outlets ported and a larger compressor wheel installed with fins that have a different pitch. The person I might get them from got them from Ed Arnold Racing. They said that they make some noise, that it might be the bearings or the shafts that might need replacing, but they haven't been "looked" at by anyone to see what the matter is..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts