Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever thought it'd be great to put a spout where the oilplug goes? That way you just reach up, turn the knob, and the oil comes draining out. Is that stupid?

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
No, but

(a) just how lazy are you; and

(b) you would be introducing the possibility that something you drive over bounces up and hits the handle on the spigot, opens it up, and all your oil drains out while you're driving. Admittedly the chances are slim, but you have now increased them to greater than 0, which is the chance you have right now with a drain plug bolted in there. Why court trouble?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grrrr :)

I'm not asking because I'm lazy (note how I avoid answering that question directly) but because it would save so much time over the course of the years I'm doing my own oilchanges.

I just finished the first oilchange in this car yesterday. Jacking it up (which everyone does the first time I think) took longer than anything else. But I could probably do the oilchange in 3 minutes with a drainspout.

I wasn't thinking of a push-lever to drain the oil. I was thinking of something like those faucets where you push the knob down, and it slowly rises up if you don't keep constant pressure on it. That would decrease the accidental drain problem.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Yeah, I jacked the car up first time too, until I realized that a cat pan is cut low enough to slide under there without jacking it up.

If you do likewise, you'll find that the difference in time required to unbolt a drain plug versus turning a tap is about 9 seconds.

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Unless you lowered your car and its not that easy anymore. However, to answer your question, I have seen something like this for oil pan bolts. Its a locking lever with a spring. You flip a tab up off the spring seat and turn it and it drains. Turn it the other way and it seals, flip the lever down and it locks. I just have not been able to determine what the thread pitch is on the stock one to get one that will fit. I don't want to buy all three sizes and try them out

Sam

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Summit Performance Parts Catalog

Sam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts