Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I like turtles
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does this indicate? I am not smoking or anything...is it just becuase the oil has 2000 miles on it? Also what kind of oil do you all recommend? Right now I am using mobil 1 10w40 sythentic with a purolator. I have no job and that oil kinda gets on my mom's nerves when i have to ask for 35 buks to get my oil done. What do you guys think about valvoline max life 10w40 with 1 qt of risolone?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your oil should NEVER:eek: smell like gasoline, compare that oil that smells like gas to fresh oil of the same type, if the oil that is in your car is noticeably thinner, you have a big problem. This may mean you have broken rings or something similar. I'm not sure why your car isn't smoking, gas in your oil is a good indication of blow by. (put simply, "blow by" means that one or more of you cylinders has lost compression due to a broken ring or similar problem) I can't think of any other way you could get gas in your oil (besides pouring it in there). 2000 miles is not that many miles miles between an oil change, the standard 3000 mile oil change is pretty universal, so you should have a good thousand miles left. anbody else have any other ideas why this could happen? Oh, by the way check to see that gas isn't leaking from somewhere else.:confused:

·
Registered
234 Posts
dont scare the guy off so quick.

It have seen this before and it always turned out to be a leaking injector. when the car is off the injector leaks gas and it goes into the combustion chamber and slowly drips past the rings to the oil pan. You just need to find which injector and replace.

Even if the rings were perfect they would still allows the gas to leak through. I highly doubt you have this problem but have a compression check done just incase.

hope this helps

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
It's normal for combustion byproducts to blow past the rings and enter the crankcase. Those combustion byproducts include gas and water. No rings seal perfectly, so oil will always have a slight gas smell. The longer it's in, the more of a smell it will have.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry if I got you worried, newspeed is probably right. It makes sense at least. I've really never run into this kind of problem since my experience is with carburated engines, not fuel injected. The reason I thought it might be a bigger problem is that a STRONG smell of gas in your oil would indicate more than normal wear. Good luck figuring out which injector it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts