Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have this part sitting here, in the original plastic bag from Rockville Mitsi. But the label is partially torn off.

What I see is "Oil Seal, Crankshaft" and MD12 (the rest of the part number is ripped away).

So what is it, what's it do, what's the full part number?

I do remember I bought it last time my tranny was replaced and the shop was supposed to replace it but never did (said the one in there looked fine). What I recall is buying a throwout bearing but this doesn't look like a throwout bearing to me.

So now my tranny is out again, should I replace it this time, or should I just sell it??

·
Now BOOSTED
926 Posts
Full part # is MD120699. I replaced mine when I did my 60k. Have them take a look at it, if it is hard replace it because it can crack and leak.

edit: It keeps the oil from leaking out through the crank. If I remember correctly having the tranny out doesn't make a difference when replacing it.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Would you happen to know what all is involved in replacing it? I have an oil leak somewhere over there, and this sounds like a good possibility. I'm going to have my tranny/oilpan off in a wek or so, so I'd like to be prepared.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sbzro: Cool, thanks. I have NO idea why I have this part, then. I remember ordering the TOB, and I'm almost sure this is what they sent me. I may have ordered the wrong thing or something. But I swear I was told to order that certain part and to replace it while the tranny was out (something about it being a $20 part that is easy to replace while the tranny's out, or I can wait until it leaks and spend $800 labor to replace it).

I'll have to double-check about if it's easy to replace with the tranny is out (maybe Hans would know for sure??) and have them replace it as preventative maintence (since I have it already).

J-Ville, if it ends up costing me a bunch of $$ in labor to use this part and I decide not to use it, I'll sell it to you for $12 shipped. Rockville Mitsu sells for $17 or so (with 3si discount) plus shipping so it's a pretty good deal. :)

·
Puts Out On 1st Date !
6,397 Posts
If it is the rear main seal I say change it while the tranny is out just for preventive maintenance. If you put your car back together and the rear main seal starts leaking oil you will have to drop the trans to fix it (you need to remove the flywheel to replace this). Also, there is a good chance that if it starts leaking, that nice new $375 SBC DXD will get coated in oil and need to be replaced.

Just my .02

Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.