Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't find anything on Jeff's Website about replacing the oil pump. Anyone have a short how-to? (Not that I don't have the ability to do and find out myself, but more that I don't want to go poking around without knowing first)

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Matt92vr4 should help you out when he sees this later.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
>You basicly take the timing belt off and it's right there.

And here's how to do the 60K tune-up - you basically open the hood and it's right there.

You're the one guy whose mechanical advice is actually more worthless than mine. :p

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
lol..

it's my understanding that to change the oil pump you have to remove the timing belt and crank pulley and all that fun stuff, and it's behind the crank pulley.. I'll have to be doing this in the next month or so.. :( I am NOT looking forward to rebuilding my engine.. lol

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
Andrew Caple said:
>You basicly take the timing belt off and it's right there.

And here's how to do the 60K tune-up - you basically open the hood and it's right there.

You're the one guy whose mechanical advice is actually more worthless than mine. :p
Well I asked the exact same question a while back and was told it's right behind the timing belt. It turned out that a sensor was dirty and my oil pressure was actually fine so I never ended up replacing it.

;)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Aren't you required to run some oil in there and turn the pulley to get it primed or something?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Well when you want help IM or PM me. You must remove transfer case, oil pan and the go about the 60k service method. Once the timing belt along with crank pulley are off, then you will see it right around the crank. Let me know if you have more questions

Attachments

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
inside of pump

Attachments

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Not pictured but you also must unbolt A/C compressor from bracket, slide it our of the way the remove A/C bracket

Attachments

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
the silver part at the bottom is it. Around the crank and you can see where the filter bracket is located on the left side.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,637 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Suddenly this clutch swap in 20 degree weather doesn't seem so bad......

So.... all things considered, I'll probably need the oil pump, pump cover gasket, pan gasket, and.... anything else?

I think I got the basics of how to get to it down, I'm just curious if there's any little things I should know about removing it, and installing a new one. And how to remove the crank pulley......

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Well for the pump you will need the gasket for the pump, pick-up tube gasket and the gasket for the oil filter bracket. If you are going that deep might as well change the water pump(all gaskets included) and timing belt. Have you ever done a timing belt? let me know if I can help. Also there is no pan gasket. It is a liquid gasket and a tube at the dealer was $50. So I just used the strongest gasket the auto parts store has and it worked fine. Also need fluid for the x-fer case, More oil and more coolant. I also changed acc belts and 3sx pulley. Search for the method of using a breaker bar on the frame and cranking the motor. It works well and it's not as bad as it sounds. If it makes you feel better I did this and my only ever deep motor work in my life was changing the turbo's and changing the oil.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bluv69K.... we'll be speaking quite often in the near future. :) I was planning on doing the timing belt, water pump, and acc belts along with it. This seems horrible though. :D My car is going to be so far disassembled its not even funny.....

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
yup, I was a cherry and didn't even order the parts when I started so it took me a while. I screamed, yelled and kicked. I swore I would pay somebody next time. In the end though it felt good when I was finished. Not many people have the guts to go that deep. I would like to rebuild my motor but am afraid to pull the engine with out help

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
yea, I just flushed my pickup tube but it's a good idea. Cleaning the oil pan and pick up tube bettered my lifter tick and it is hard to gauge the dip stick because my oil is so clean.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated!

·
BAWC: In the Mix
5,168 Posts
So let me get this straight.

You go through the routine of taking off the t-belt, down pipe, oil pan, t-case, and get the AC compressor (is this really necessary?)out of the way. Then the pump is just right there and all you have to do is unbolt it? How many bolts are there? When you re-install it, how exactly do you prime it? Just put some oil on the rotors, then reinstall? What about the sendor?

Is there a V-faq on this anywhere? The manual doesn't really get into much detail with this. Of coarse, maybe I'm just imagining it being a lot worse than it actually is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.