Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am planning a standard rebuild for my high milage 6g72. I have so far ordered the gasket set, bolts, bearings, rings, and now I am looking into the oil pump. The only one that I can find on Ebay specifies "Non turbo" for the 6g72, from cns auto parts.

Any ideas were I can find the proper 6g72 oil pump for a decent price?

Thanks!
Brandon

·
Registered
715 Posts
How are the parts from partsdinosaur? They prices are REALLY cheap there. That makes me question the quality. I'd go to Mitsubishi for one. $151 at Mentor and I can't picture that price being beaten by much, and it is a Mitsubishi pump.

The 12 valve 6G72 pumps are different, and cannot be used. I am guessing all the 24 valve oil pumps are the same though. I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
There are at least 3 different pumps for the DOHC engines based upon build date. I would recommend Mistupartsdirect.com or call them with your vin.

·
Average poster
1,499 Posts
I bought an NA oil pump from partsdinosaur about a year and a half ago and have had no problems with it. And their customer service is excellent. I don't see a listing for oil pumps for the turbo engines though, so if anything I would send them an email asking about them to see what they have or look up the part number and see if they're the same.

17,897 Posts
part numbers dictate NA and TT are different.
the parts numbers are different, but they are interchangeable to a point.

If you check Rockville's site it shows the TT part number for the later NAs. All it does is break up the DOHC pumps by year. I ordered a pump from them for my 95 NA and used the TT part number and it fit great. I would run the TT pump on the slim chance their is an internal improvement.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Since no one has any answers on this i want to educate the community as i have found it!

You can use the NA oil pump in a TT like the one found from parts dinosaur! ITs a great and cheap alternative but....

The part numbers are slightly different for a reason

I have just used an NA pump in my TT and found i have low oil pressure at idle but perfectly fine above 1k rpms. whats the problem? upon doing a little more research and a caps part number comparison between the NA and TT pump internals my suspicions are confirmed that the pressure relief spring and solely the pressure relief spring are different between the two pumps. If you are to use a NA pump be sure to swap the pressure relief spring from your old pump to new one!!!! Other then that it will work fine. I am going to drop my pan again and swap these springs in my own car in the near future.

(4 bolt) NA TT
Spring MD015988 MD174687
Gear MD131335 MD131335
Gear MD131336 MD131336
Plunger MD021563 MD021563
Cover MD185793 MD185793

·
Registered
58 Posts
the NA oil pump of the respective year to your TT engine will work fine as long as you swap the oil pressure relief spring from your old pump into your new pump (2bolt or 4bolt i just referenced the 4 bolt version in my caps search)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Since no one has any answers on this i want to educate the community as i have found it!

You can use the NA oil pump in a TT like the one found from parts dinosaur! ITs a great and cheap alternative but....

The part numbers are slightly different for a reason

I have just used an NA pump in my TT and found i have low oil pressure at idle but perfectly fine above 1k rpms. whats the problem? upon doing a little more research and a caps part number comparison between the NA and TT pump internals my suspicions are confirmed that the pressure relief spring and solely the pressure relief spring are different between the two pumps. If you are to use a NA pump be sure to swap the pressure relief spring from your old pump to new one!!!! Other then that it will work fine. I am going to drop my pan again and swap these springs in my own car in the near future.

(4 bolt) NA TT
Spring MD015988 MD174687
Gear MD131335 MD131335
Gear MD131336 MD131336
Plunger MD021563 MD021563
Cover MD185793 MD185793
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm trying to figure out if my 93 TT will be able to use an oil pump from a 93 N/A.

If you're still on this forum what year was your TT? As all years of the N/As had a 2 bolt block vs all of the 93+ TTs were using a 4 bolt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.