Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My VR-4 has really low oil pressure, and I was not too concerned with it till my dad said it might be a rod bearing. Now if this is true, would puting say 15w-30 or 40 oil in help, and stop anything from getting worse. There is almost no pressure at idle, but if you give it a little gas and hold it at 1200 rpms then it is good. and when you first start it, the pressure is good since the oil is thicker. I will might rebuild parts of the engine eventually, like in two to three years. there are 76000 miles on it. what are some of your opinions?
thanks.

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
I just switched from Mobil 1 10w30 to 15w50 and I noticed a small change in oil pressure, but it still sits low at idle. i think that all 3S's have that problem. Correct me if i'm wrong guys.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Rocky,

My guess would be oil pump - my previous engine was rebuilt (by the previous owner in Nov 00) and the only thing they didn't do was the oil pump - same results as you (our cars do have low oil pressure, but zero at idle is too much IMHO). I tried the heavier oil trick but it must have been too late as both my turbos fried (massive wear on the bushings). To change the pump you basically pull everything needed to do a 60K service to gain access to the pump. Hope you have better luck,

Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts