Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be so glad after I've had this car about 6 months and I know what is normal and what is not...I ran into another question today. (92 SL) While driving around normally, the oil pressure gauge registers in the lower part of the normal zone, which is between the two big lines, but at idle it is 1/2 way between NO oil pressure and the first big normal line...(I hope that sounded right, I'm tired and too much caffeine and can't sleep again) and I'm concerned about oil pressure. The oil LIGHT never comes on (except at startup of course) and as soon as I start accelerating the oil pressure goes back up into the normal area, even if it is in the lower part of the normal area. I know that sometimes factory gauges aren't all that, but does any one else notice this? Thanks again in advance...this board is COOL!

P.S. The stupid Dealer emblem came right off! (Just pulled cause I was mad Dammit...)

P.P.S. My buddy came over and drove my car tonight..he was WAY impressed! He's on his way to selling his Mazda 626!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I AM HAVING THE EXACT SAME SYMPTOM! Hopefully it doesnt mean anything. It started for me when I changed the oil and filter and put in 10w30 synth. My first oil change with the car so, I'm not sure what it had before. I'm hoping that I just need to put in a thicker grade. Any other problems? I also have a stumble or miss at hard accelleration, and occasionally at idle, it drops below base idle (750rpms). Weird. The oil pressure is what has me most worried. I'm thinking maybe the other symptoms are from the previous owner putting the timing belt on himself just off a tooth, or maybe time for new plugs and wires.
I actually remember the oil pressure dropping all of a sudden in my stang when I had it, maybe at about 70k miles. I got freaked out, it turned out to be nothing. Just age I guess, cuz it pulled hard for several more years.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Where are those flipping archives?

On a warmed-up '91 R/T (and going from memory, no oil gauge in front of me), at highway speeds (around 2500 for me) it registers just above the 3-o'clock position, which is 3 small hash marks above one of the (3 or 4?) bigger hash marks. At idle, it drops way down to about 4-o'clock or less.

I always figured that, more important than what reading you see, is that it be consistent day after day. So long as your happy that the reading your getting, whatever it is, is making yoru engine happy, your main concern should be ensure that you always have the same reading under the same circumstances from ride to ride. It's the deltas you're looking for, not the absolutes.

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
This is my knowledge on this...

When driving, the oil pressure needle should be near the top... so the needle reads like you'd have 3/4 a tank of gas or something, and then at idle, it will drop down and look like you have 1/4 a tank of gas..

If the needle EVER drops down and looks like it does when at idle, but WHILE you are driving, you need to stop immediately..

The gas thing is just an example of how the gauge would look...

Other than that, what you are describing is natural.. My car does it too...

-LDG
93 Stealth ES

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are right, its been this way since the day I bought it (clear last week) and I never hear any ticking or knocking even at first startup in the morning. I noticed this morning that even cold (17 degrees this morning) it doesn't go up much higher than about "2:30" position. At warm highway speeds (about 2500 rpm just like you) it is in fact about 3:00 position. And at idle, exactly like you say, its at about 4:00 or maybe "4:15" position...If I really get a bug up my butt, I might put a manual oil pressure gauge on just to see what the actual pressure is then be happy! Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts