Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your oil pressure gauge show low reading? Mine is showing lower than I'd like at idle, but increases to a reasonable level at about 2000 RPM. Is the gauge accurate at all? Also, is there an aftermarket oil pump that we can use? I've been used to seeing high performance engines holding very high oil pressure. I've wondered why these cars have low oil pressure.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
If I interpret your question correctly, the answer is "yes, the oil pressure gauge will drop substantially when you engine is at idle". At least, mine does, and I've divined from posts that those of others do as well.

At 2000-2500 (my normal driving range), mine sits at just a bit above the 3-o'clock position, which is three small hash marks above the second lowes big hash mark.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Has any one hooked up a PSI gauge to show what the actual readings are for a stock oil pump - with engine cold, with engine warmed up @ idle, and warm @ 2500 RPM. Any input appreciated. Also would be helpful if stated what pressure corresponds with what needle position on the factory gauge. Roger, Brian or other Gurus?

[This message has been edited by SteveVR4 (edited January 03, 2000).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts