Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· One fix at a time
9,758 Posts
There's a forum member who enlarges the oil pans to take more oil (therefore more cooling). I wonder if he can weld in some stronger steel into the bottom to increase the resistance to dentng?
I could but the pan itself isn’t too structural. It’s about a 20 gauge thickness as it is which is pretty thin. I go with a 16 gauge bottom which helps but it’ll never be a jacking point. I’ve actually had one or two people ask if they could jack up their car by the pan with the extended capacity mod lol. I wouldn’t mess with it since the oil pickup screen is so close. If anything, you could build a skid plate that bolted or was welded to the crossmember. It’s already the lowest point so it would work.

· One fix at a time
9,758 Posts
TSB, thanks for chiming in. Since the pan is higher than the crossbar, I guess the crossbar provides some level of protection.
Is it possible to fab the bottom of your pans with even thicker steel than 16ga? I don't think the deformation in my pan is due to someone using it as a jack point. I think it came from a road hit.
I could make the bottom thicker without issue but I know for sure it wouldn’t fit that crossbar. It’s already really tight as it is and some people with 3SX poly motor mounts maybe others have had to dent that crossmember in the corners for the pan due to some engine sag or slight change in mounting. With the thicker plate you’d probably be better off cutting out the profile that follows the pan on the crossmember taking it out completely or replace it with a tubular crossmember.

· One fix at a time
9,758 Posts
Do you happen to have any 2-bolt extended oil pans for sale currently? Along with being slightly dented mine is also leaking from a pinhole near the welds on the side of the pan itself. I can temp. fix it for now but I assume down the road I am going to want something permanent.
I’ve got two 2-bolt cores right now I haven’t modified yet. Send me a message and I can probably get one built shortly. I’m finishing up a couple of intake manifolds and then I’ll have time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts