Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume so far that it is my turbo oil line that is leaking. Here is the story:
I finally get the car 2night and as the mechanic gets into my driveway, oil is EVERYWHERE...i mean EVERYWHERE. There is a huge line of oil going down my street, for around 1/4 mile. So i dont know what it is....its all around the driver-side wheelwell area...and yes, its definilty oil. Please help, i have no idea!!!?? :-(

Alright...so where is the oil line located exactly---how would i tighten it..i will jack the car up a foot or so...and then what? Remember, it is near or in the front driver-side wheel well. Thanks

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If its your front turbo oil line it will be a pita. Basically you have to remove the radiator/air conditioning/ and that bracket and bunch of other stuff to get to that point! Have fun!
If its the rear then just jack up the car and tighten the bolt thats located by the oil pressure sensor. You will see a hard small line going up to your rear turbo. That one is a piece of cake!

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
If it's around the driver's side fenderwell area, it sounds like the oil cooler. It is located right behind the intercooler on that side. Odds are you've split a line or something.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Definately an oil cooler line. I had one break on me. You'll probably have to replace it.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much should I expect to pay for this...ie how many hours of work+how much parts ? I think it will be included in the engine install but if not i don't want them to jack me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
oil cooler line

I think I did the same thing today...let me know how it goes with your car...JC

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cost $260. Parts were 100 or so and labor was an hour and a half. But now i have some new problem regarding who knows what...I am driving it around and if i go WOT, the car sounds like its grinding...but its when i'm already in gear.?

·
Native
3,894 Posts
I was gonna try and help ya, but you posted already. You really didn't need someone else to do it for you, cause it's easier than shit to replace your oil lines to the oil cooler. Cost me ~$150 from Conicelli Mitsu for new gaskets, lines and misc parts. I reused the eye bolts and the oil cooler themselves and it seriously was easy as all get out to do.

Did this grinding problem come about before you had the lines replaced or after. If before it could be a number of things, but if after I don't see how their installation would have messed up anything that would grind in the first place...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It happened after, but before that, i never even drove my car. literally, not once. So it has a new engine in it, supposedly a new tranny. I think its the driveshaft, hans mentioned it could be that, or possibly the carrier bearings. My new post on this subject is here:
http://209.58.199.225/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=56102
Thanks for the support, gotta keep the faith..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Do you know where I can get install instructions? The dealer is going to put new lines in on Monday and is charging me $180 for the lines and gaskets and $220 for labor!! OUCH!!

Thanks for any help :(

·
Native
3,894 Posts
Dude, it's so easy

Remove the driver side wheel, and the plastic splash/shit guard and the oil cooler is right there. It's a piece o cake!

·
Registered
143 Posts
What size sockets do I need?
What do I do with those 8 o-rings that come with the kit?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it:)

I post-poned my dealership service appointment so I can try it myself this weekend!

·
Native
3,894 Posts
Whenever I take a gasket off, if I didn't put it on, then I replace it.

When I did my work, the metal pieces on both sides of the feed and return lines had been rusted so bad that the rubber hose was falling out and that's the leak. I kept the eye bolts because they weren't corroded. I DID replace both lines and the 8 gaskes (2 per eye bolt) and I can't remember the size. it's like 18mm or close to that. The bolts are BIG!

·
Registered
143 Posts
how much time did it take to do the job? I'm going to get a friend to help me out. He has alot of tools and will most likely have an 18mm socket.

·
Native
3,894 Posts
it took 45 minutes, and that was putting EVERY part of the oil cooler system back in, and putting new lil plastic clips in the splash guard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts