Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 95 BASE Stealth, (translated: SOHC w/auto tranny), 72k miles on it. I've got the oil leak from hell. thought it was my valve covers (which was PART of the problem) fixed that. Still leaking. Not to mention the burnt oil smell...
I believe it's coming from two things: 1. Rear main seal.. that I'm real sure of and 2. Head gaskets. Not so sure about that.
The leak is coming from the top of the engine somewhere. However, I have no white smoke, not losing coolant, and no coolant in my oil... but it's gotta be the head gaskets.
Anyway, my question is: is the $1000+ the dealer is going to charge me to fix this worth it? Should I sell? Should I get a jspec DOHC? The car runs strong and smooth, just leaky. What do you think?

·
Registered
341 Posts
This is where my problems started. (not to scare you) My car was burning coolant off on a daily basis. I replaced the whole engine. This was a bit more expensive, but gave way to doing everything else I have done. Converting to DOHC from SOHC is expensive. You have ECU, Ignition, and many other things to worry about.

$$$... how much do you want to spend???

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not losing coolant at all. Just oil. And it doesn't seem to be in large amounts.. just 'messy' amounts all over my block and alongside my tranny...

·
3/S car dealer/mechanic
460 Posts
I would say start by replacing the rear main seal. That will fix alot of the oil leaking problem. The tourqe converter might be slinging some of the leaked oil to the upper area of the motor as well, making it look like a head gasket is leaking. You don't really need to have a dealer do it you could go to a trans shop or small time mech shop. They will be alot cheaper than the dealer and there is not alot to mess up when doing the main seal. A trans shop might do a better job flushing out your trans and replacing the filter since they are right there anyway.

You might want to check to make sure your valve cover gaskets are sealed well. If you don't use RTV sealent in some spots you will get a leak and I know if you over tighten them on the DOHC motor that can cause you some problems as well. If it is your head gasket (s) (dosn't sound like it) I would make sure you take the car to someone who knows what they are doing dealer (sometimes) or trusted mech.

Unless your motor smokes or has other problems or you want to do the costley upgrade to DOHC I would not go and replace the motor. Fix the main seal and see if that helps If you are going to want to do a DOHC or TT upgrade think about just trading your car in for one that is a much easier project :)

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
Head gasket: $35
Rear main seal: $3.50
TT upgrade: $4000

Hope that helps

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am saddened to say this, but I think I might sell my car. *sigh* I really like it, but it's turning out to be too expensive to be a 'get me to work and back' car (2 miles one way). If I have to continually have work done on it that I can't (translated: don't have the time to) do, then I'm just dumping money into a money pit. If it was a TT or even a DOHC, it might be more worth it. *sigh* I dunno. My boss has a hyundai accent (his 3rd) that he bought for $9k brand new. I looked last night and I can get one fully loaded for around $9.5k. I know it's not a stealth, but damn, 5 years bumper to bumper and 10 years power train warranty.. no more worries and it just has to get me to work and back. NOt to mention I can get 8 - 8.5K for my stealth, that means I only have to cough up $1k. *shrug* I can't decide. I just know I don't want car payments (stealth is paid off), want a warranty, and don't want to have to do anything more than put oil and gas in it. What do I do?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts