Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a small leak that is covering my Ptu in oil and im afraid its going to short it out and then my ignition coils wont be getting any spark which means car no run :( ive replaced the Valve cover gaskets about 2 years ago and they dont see to appear like they are leaking. But there seems to be like some sort of cap/seal that looks like its where my small leak is coming from. Ill post a picture of where i am talking about.

its that Black looking Cap that is where it looks like my oil leak is coming from? Is that like a cam seal or something? And is it a tough job to replace? Seems like only the ignition coils are in the way

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,194 Posts
Yes, that is correct - camshaft end cap/seal aka "cam cap"

If you remove your coil pack, then it should be evident whether or not that is the culprit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is correct - camshaft end cap/seal aka "cam cap"

If you remove your coil pack, then it should be evident whether or not that is the culprit.
Yeah it definitely looks like it is coming from the camshaft cam cap you are talking about. Just how difficult is it to replace this seal? Because its leaking onto my PTU and i dont want it to short it out.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,194 Posts
There are two methods, and this thread explains the both of them very well. I am part of the latter with torquing the cam cap down over the end cap with a little silicone applied for added sealing. Either way works fine though, so pick your poison...

How to properly replace camshaft cap? <<

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  1. There are two methods, and this thread explains the both of them very well. I am part of the latter with torquing the cam cap down over the end cap with a little silicone applied for added sealing. Either way works fine though, so pick your poison...

How to properly replace camshaft cap? <<

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9
    But just to be clear lol because their is lots of different responses on their but can i remove those endcaps with the Valve covers still on right? By just using a little pick and trying to pry the endcap out? Of course after removing the ignition coils

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So does anybody know how to replace that end cap for the camshaft? Ive heard different responses where somebody used a pick and tried to pick it out and then some that say that the bearing cap needs to be removed. But what is the bearing cap? Would the Valve covers need to be removed for this job?

·
Registered
187 Posts
The easiest thing for you to do would be to extract the old one using a medium sized, sharp, flat blade screwdriver and a hammer (carefully hit the screwdriver in between the aluminium and the cap and then lever the cap out), then install a new one by covering the outside edge in RTV and tapping it in carefully with a hammer (hit it evenly, around the outside edge, until it's flush with the cylinder head).

You may damage the aluminium surface slightly so sand any rough edges off before installing the new cap or you'll tear the rubber and end up with another leak.

Don't take the valve covers off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts