Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a ‘92 vr4 and was wondering what oil and oil filter I should go with. Engine has around 50k on it.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,998 Posts
Oh boy... can of worms. There are a million threads full of opinions on this already. Just pick your poison regardless of stock or lightly modified.

On a serious note, you should also consider your climate; owner's manual has a range specified. Do not settle for the cheapest filters either e.g. Fram.

You can always adjust and change up from whichever you initially use based on breakdown, analysis, oil pressure, etc.

Reactions: Paul H. and rez604

·
Lovbyts
3,881 Posts
I try to go with Wic filters and as for oil, yeah its a can of worms. Ive ran about everything. Right now Im running Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 Advanced Full Synthetic

Reactions: bboyalan

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been using full synthetic 5w-50 for the last 20 years with a K&N HP 1004 filter. Last tiome I opened the engine I had absolutly no buildup in the oiling system, clean as the day built.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wix or a Mobil 1 filter and amsoil. The weight of oil depends on work done to the motor and the climate you live in/what time of the year it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently bought a ‘92 vr4 and was wondering what oil and oil filter I should go with. Engine has around 50k on it.
Go with an original OEM Mitsubishi oil filter and use 10W-30 Castrol Syntec (100% synthetic) oil. You cannot go wrong with either of these, as this is all I have used since I bought my '92 VR4 in 1995. Change the filter and oil every 3000-4000 miles and your engine will last along time. My engine is shown below and has 62k miles on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts