Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

oil additives

6K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  oprogue 
#1 ·
just wondering if someone puts oil additives into their 3k i seen alot of them in autozone , claiming to clean ur engine or what not.

#8 ·
I've read alot on additives. A good number of them appear to be nothing more than snake oils. The application of additives, like with your motor oil and transmission/transfer case fluids, varies with how you drive and the intended results. With this in mind I'd try to stay away from any that use chlorinated solvents; these wreck havoc with gaskets and seals (totally toasted my 67 and half German VW as a result, I believe, from using an additve known as A2000). There has also been pros and cons to using oils fortified with teflon. I've seen 3HP lawnmower engines run dry using them under no load ... but I'd never add it to anything I own ... something about having solids floating around in a lubricate system that just doesn't make sense to me (same goes for graphites).

I've never tried Prolong, but I have a friend that owns an auto parts store that had Prolong as their sponsor. Prolong was just that, a sponsor. He didn't use it at all in his race machine. Others will swear by the stuff. I've never tried it as I merely couldn't justify the cost with such a big question mark as to whether it works or not.

So as you read this your probably wondering what additives I do use. Well I can attest to using Duralube. I had a '91 Honda Civic DX 5 speed hatchback with over 300K miles when I totalled it that was still getting 43 miles to the gallon (it got 45 brand new). The car ran tops and I babied it. I drove it for its mileage, and the additive seemed to compliment my driving style.

I've also used STP oil treatment. I've espically used it in any engine that I've either overloaded, over heated, or knew/suspected that I might overload or over heat. I've also used it in engines that the valve train rattled in to quieten t down some. Does it work ... eh ... I think so, but keep in mind it has a vasoline like consistency. Wanna see what will happen with a lubricant in an engine that over heats? Toss it in an old frying pan and heat it up (be sure to turn the fire detector off and grab a fire extingisher). Hot enough STP will, oddly enough, crust over. Granted it retains a jel like consistency, but it has a quality about it that spells no good to me (and time for an oil change).

Regardless of what additive you decide upon, make sure you have a high quality motor oil. A turbo charged car will tear up the molecules in ordinary oil, a name brand synthetic is a must. Everyone will have an opinion about what they like best. For me I only use Mobil 1 or Castrol. Pick one and stick with it. Watch your mileage, and the color changes of the oil once you use an additive. These two things will be a good indicator of how the oil and/or additive is preforming.

#10 ·
With todays formulations the average driver doesn't need an additive. There seems to continue to be this arguement about keeping oil on the top cylinder so that it stays wet on start up ... a good quality oil filter (I like Wix or NAPA Gold) and frequent oil changes go a long way. Conventional oil every 3-4K miles or 3 months (usually the former as I run 450 miles a week round trip to work alone) and 4-5K for the up and coming synthetic machine.

It'd be nice to know how and what others are doing.

#13 ·
92ttawdstealth said:
I would use a synthetic oil if i was you, but hey to each his own i run royal purple 10w40 and have no lifter tick and great oil pressure.

If you have a higher mileage engine and swich from regular oil to synthetic then more then likly you will end up with some oil leakage.

Coop

#15 ·
DCIV said:
If you ... switch from regular oil to synthetic then more then likly you will end up with some oil leakage.
You really shouldn't get any leaks ... it was my understanding the synthetic ester hydrocarbon chain was larger than it's fossil molecule counter part. Being a larger molecule should reduce any leakage.

I'll see if anyone on "Bob Is The Oil Guy" website (and google it)has made any observations.

#16 ·
I've used AutoRx in all of my cars with no ill effects. "Bob..." recommended it on his site a long time ago. You only need it once every 60k.

#19 ·
Blue94VR4 said:

You've used this? Does it meet with their claims? ... do you see a difference when you look into your oil filler cap? ... what about when you change your oil, any noticable viscosity change, discoloration, etc?

#20 ·
I've used it but I can not verify any of their claims. It did help with lifter tick a bit however. It did not go away completely, but it got quieter. Also last time I removed covers, cams and rockers had no sludge on them. I do not believe however that this product can stop leaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.