Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Since the 1999s came out the question has been asked over and over… How many are there? How many are members on 3si? Were there only 45 ever made as so many dealerships like to advertise?

I am happy to announce to 3si my project of the last 3+ years. With the help of 1999 VR-4 owners past and present, both on 3si and not, I have been able to answers these questions with a greater certainty then ever before.

Current Registry Total: 106 of 287 cars

The main goal of the site is to attempt to locate, count, or register as many different 1999 VR-4s as possible. Current owners, cars listed for sale (autotrader, ebay, etc.) to a certain extent cars simply “spotted” or “sightings” or 1999 VR-4s are all counted. 1999 conversions do not count, sorry. All reported sightings are reviewed to determine accuracy before they are added to the total. With that out of the way….

www.99vr4registry.com

Please take a look around the site. We are working out a few details, so bear with us. I will post announcements, updates, and improvements here and on our forum. As you can see this site relates to everything 1999 VR-4. Without 3si.org and the support and enthusiasm of all owners, this site would not be possible. So thank you : )

If you have any questions, I am available at [email protected] or please register and post your related questions on our forum (free, but lets keep things on topic as described for each section) http://www.99vr4registry.com/forum/index.php . You can see a current breakdown of the registered cars, by color and interior, in the Library as well as other links for reading on the 1999 VR-4.

In the coming weeks we will be finalizing our Cars for Sale page, putting the finishing touches on the interactive Members Gallery, detailing the contents of our Official Members Packet and taking your questions and registering new cars – so please check back for updates :cool:

In the meantime, if you have any questions or comments about the site, looking to buy a 1999 VR-4, seen a 1999 VR-4, know someone that has one but isn’t on 3si…. let’s see how many we can get!

Thanks for looking :D

Jon

[email protected] | [email protected]

·
stirrin' up truble
725 Posts
ah....php working correctly....css compiling correctly....database connecting correctly....all systems go...time for brain function regeneration ;)

But seriously, Jon and I have worked on this for a while now. Existing photographs of the cars in the registry will soon be online. There are a couple more bells and whistles in development also.

·
Registered
17,534 Posts
There is a red 99 vr4 in austin... he used to work right off of 183. I can't remember the interior color, never even met the guy... But I looked on the inside of the car and every sign pointed to a bone-stock-99 VR4... With exhaust.

I met the owners of a 99 vr4 at san antonio raceway. They were from San Antonio... It was red also. It went 13.4 that night ;) ... bone stock.

How would I know if these cars had already been registered? Neither owner is on 3Si. I really know very little about the cars except that they're red, true-99's.

·
Since May 2002
5,592 Posts
I remember reading about a white 99 out by Lane (FastOldGuy) a month or so ago. It was in Westlake, but he's in Southlake like 10-15 minutes away I think. If he sees it again, maybe he could stop the guy and ask him about it.

There's also a red 99 for sale on Ebay right now, not sure if you've seen it and added it to the list or not.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AdamVR4 said:
How would I know if these cars had already been registered? Neither owner is on 3Si. I really know very little about the cars except that they're red, true-99's.
It's kind of a grey area b/c I really can't know - next time you see any 99 at least try and get the last 4 of the VIN or something that positively identifies it as unique from other cars on the registry. I don't have very many of the "sightings" b/c they are hard to really accurately count.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Venom800 said:
I remember reading about a white 99 out by Lane (FastOldGuy) a month or so ago. It was in Westlake, but he's in Southlake like 10-15 minutes away I think. If he sees it again, maybe he could stop the guy and ask him about it.
Absolutely, at some point we will have business cards to make that easier part easier. But let him know about the site and tell him to email me - its possible I already have it - but the idea here is to have more people looking than just me!

Venom800 said:
There's also a red 99 for sale on Ebay right now, not sure if you've seen it and added it to the list or not.
Yup ;) I don't think there are any listed in the usual places that I don't already know about - but thats the point of this thread and the forum on the 99 site - post links and we can check! Gotta get more than just 96 :D

Jon

·
Formerly Carnage VR4
5,285 Posts
Great idea, good to see your still helping out the platform, even if your moved on. ;)

-Matt

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Carnage VR4 said:
Great idea, good to see your still helping out the platform, even if your moved on. ;)

-Matt
I wouldn't say I have moved on just yet.... kinda of in some wierd 3/S-less limbo nether region.... LOL I think it should be obvious from the site what I am looking for next ;)

Jon

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Thats pretty cool. I cant believe theres only 1 white w/ black interrior. You've apperently done some research on this. I can honestly say that I have never seen a black '99 vr4 ever, but if I do, I'll try to get the info. down. Do the Vr4s tested count, cause i believe in '99 they were testing the fastest cars out there and a black 99 vr4 was being used. Dunno if the numbers are out of the 287, but just incase. Good luck on your search though, I can't believe you've even got around 1/3 already.

·
I have an ego problem
2,616 Posts
JON great job on the website/fourm Im glad you got the chance to announce it, maybe you should also post this in General....thanks for making our 99s stand out...

KP~NY CREW

·
I'm Burning Star IV
698 Posts
I don't know if this info helps you at all, but as it stands in the Kansas City area there are 2 99 VR-4's for sale. One is black with 35k on it, the other red with 65k on it. If you want more info just do a 3000gt search on autotrader.com com within 25 mile of the zip code 64114. Also for the last 3 years I've seen a bone stock red 99 driven by an extremely old couple. I'm talking wrinkled skin and white hair. I've seen both the husband and wife driving it. They have custom vanity plates that say "MAB" whatever that means.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its helpful to refer to the cars as the last 4 of the VIN, much easier to check too (when its available).

Blue3kGtVr4 said:
I don't know if this info helps you at all, but as it stands in the Kansas City area there are 2 99 VR-4's for sale. One is black with 35k on it, the other red with 65k on it. If you want more info just do a 3000gt search on autotrader.com com within 25 mile of the zip code 64114.
Got them both already - it will be easier to check this once the gallery gets finished with all the pictures.

Blue3kGtVr4 said:
Also for the last 3 years I've seen a bone stock red 99 driven by an extremely old couple. I'm talking wrinkled skin and white hair. I've seen both the husband and wife driving it. They have custom vanity plates that say "MAB" whatever that means.
MAB.. that sounds really familiar for some reason, so many cars lol - If you see them again try and meet them. Tell them about 3si and tell them about the website made specifically for your car. Ask them if you could just write down the last 4 of the vin only so that we can see if they have been counted or not. Thank them and report back LOL :D

Jon

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Deigea said:
Thats pretty cool. I cant believe theres only 1 white w/ black interrior. You've apperently done some research on this. I can honestly say that I have never seen a black '99 vr4 ever, but if I do, I'll try to get the info. down. Do the Vr4s tested count, cause i believe in '99 they were testing the fastest cars out there and a black 99 vr4 was being used. Dunno if the numbers are out of the 287, but just incase. Good luck on your search though, I can't believe you've even got around 1/3 already.
Once the members gallery gets completed with the pictures, we'll have more pics available then you'll know what to do with.... hell the black 99s are practically common if you look at the numbers (103) ;) :p

Test cars: Cars used for road tests usually belong to somebody. They are production road going versions of the car. Magazines just contact owners and pretty much say "Hi, can we borrow your car for a day"... Someone might already own that car, who knows. Without the last 4 of the VIN of the car tested, I won't have anyway to check it against my own records. See what, if anything you can find and let me know.

NOTE:
This goes to really anyone - submit pictures, links, articles, anything 99 VR-4 related - I'd love to add it to the Library. Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mitsuman03 said:
JON great job on the website/fourm Im glad you got the chance to announce it, maybe you should also post this in General....thanks for making our 99s stand out...

KP~NY CREW
No problem - I wasn't really sure if General was the place for thor AWD - the 99s stand out all on their own, they just need a little more attention ;)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
This man put a lot of work into this site!, I have seen how every develop from just an idea to an amazing website that a lot of owners can relay on to find out more information about their own car!

Congrats Jon, I'm glad to see the project being almost completed! people register on the forums! we need more traffic there :cool:

1 - 20 of 91 Posts