Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lovbyts
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read about it years ago when I was having a little problem but lately its been HOT and I have to wipe my windshield 3 or 4x even on a short 30 minute drive to work. I carry a bottle of windex and paper towels in my car and even one of those windshield scrubbers with an extending handle and micro fiber cloth.

Has anyone figured out a good way to stop our dash from off-gassing? Ive tried several different types of cleaners,
Meguiar's, mother, armor-all, and of course have cleaned the windshield with most everything you can think of from Windex, Invisible glass, various anti fog, alcohol, distilled water and vinegar, Acetone and nothing seems to work for very long.

YES I am sure its not moisture and not my heater core leaking.

Ive searched all the old threads and found a couple more tips for cleaning the windshield such as trying Mr. Clean magic eraser but that doesnt solve the main problem. I do have some 303 and Lexol somewhere I need to try on the dash to see if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any tips

·
Stuff and Junk and Things
888 Posts
3-4 times in 30 minutes? That seems excessive. Have you made sure you don't have moisture in the car? Like a body plug missing allowing the carpet to get wet, or one of the two drain lines for the rear hatch come off? I've had one of the lines come off and it caused all my windows to fog when it sat. And thinking about it right now, there have been conditions where it takes a good minute for my windshield to clear the internal fog. I has even fogged up with the windows down at night, so there's that.

I'd recommend getting the super thin fabric folding windshield sun shades. The ones with the wire perimeter that you taco into a circle. I had one of the silver bubble wrap ones actually cause what seemed like a super amount of off gassing. And keep trying different brands of uv protectant.

·
Lovbyts
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3-4 times in 30 minutes? That seems excessive. Have you made sure you don't have moisture in the car? Like a body plug missing allowing the carpet to get wet, or one of the two drain lines for the rear hatch come off? I've had one of the lines come off and it caused all my windows to fog when it sat. And thinking about it right now, there have been conditions where it takes a good minute for my windshield to clear the internal fog. I has even fogged up with the windows down at night, so there's that.

I'd recommend getting the super thin fabric folding windshield sun shades. The ones with the wire perimeter that you taco into a circle. I had one of the silver bubble wrap ones actually cause what seemed like a super amount of off gassing. And keep trying different brands of uv protectant.
Yup Im sure there is no moisture and more to the point, Its Not moisture. I wish, that would be easy to take care of by turning on the defrost and cracking the window. I also have 2
Eva-Dry Dehumidifiers in my trunk area just because when its raining and I open the trunk I do get some water inside but also wipe it up. I check my trunk area regularly because I have my batteries and amps back there as well as my $1200 woofer and the bottom and sides are covered with sound deadening adhesive mats.

I always use a full window thick, not thin sun shade that blocks 95% of the sun.

Hopefully the 303 or Lexol will help.

·
Verified Seller
1,724 Posts
The off gassing is usually coming from the dash by using armor all, or UV protection products when the dash is exposed to heat, the vapors start to cover the inside of the windshield.

I would really just use 91% rubbing alcohol to clean the inside of the windshield. You might have to repeat this 2 or 3 times to remove all the oils from the windshield. Give that a try.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Make sure you are not using any cleaner/care product on the interior/dash that leaves a residue, many of these can evaporate in high eat and will collect on the windsheild.

Also Vaping and Smoking in the car will also cause a residue to collect on the windshield. I have a similar issue in my Company Vehicle when I have a Cigar.

Ainterior window, Anti Fog Treatment like from RainX will also help reduce these types of problems.

·
Lovbyts
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Make sure you are not using any cleaner/care product on the interior/dash that leaves a residue, many of these can evaporate in high eat and will collect on the windsheild.

Also Vaping and Smoking in the car will also cause a residue to collect on the windshield. I have a similar issue in my Company Vehicle when I have a Cigar.

Ainterior window, Anti Fog Treatment like from RainX will also help reduce these types of problems.
Dont smoke or vape and no one does in my car.

Tried the anti fog a few weeks ago and didnt seem to help

I scrubbed the windsheild for about 30 minutes the other day and its helped a little but hasnt been very hot the last week.

·
Born to Kill
367 Posts

Vaping only leaves a residue if you are blowing clouds with the windows up and even then it's virtually nothing. OP residue on the windshield is usually from a leaking heater core.

·
Lovbyts
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vaping only leaves a residue if you are blowing clouds with the windows up and even then it's virtually nothing. OP residue on the windshield is usually from a leaking heater core.
Usually and things that normally go wrong are not part of my vocabulary or life. As Ive said SEVERAL times, its not a heater core leak and to prove it I spent about 45 minutes cleaning the inside of my windshield, dash and door panels about a week ago and then used 303 Protectant - Automotive Interior & Exterior UV Protection and guess what? No having to wipe my windshield for the last week.

Now Im sure I will have to keep doing this every week or two but its better than having the wipe the windshield constantly.

·
Lovbyts
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still havent had to wipe my windsheild yet. I guess it's Not a coolant leak. lol

Reactions: QCstealth92

·
Lovbyts
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn, I had to clean my windshield a few days ago. :(

I think Im going to clean the dash again soon with the 303 even though there has not been any more off-gassing that I have noticed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts