Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night when i went to turn on my car, i noticed a very loud tapping sound coming from the driver's side of the engine bay... i've heard what lifter tick sounds like and this is much louder (also i think lifters would be more of in the middle of my engine bay since the lifters are spread out in rows along the engine)

it seems like its coming from where the belts are (near the timing belt). i checked for any signs of belts rubbing or moving irregularly and if my 3sx pulley was wobbling but nothing..

also when i floor it, it (the tapping sound) increases in speed but soon after it will quiet down but you can still hear it

any ideas

i have 3g lifter already and there silent

Kx

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts
My car made that noise and drove me nuts. I finally had Ray check it out and it ended up being the pulley on the timing belt tensioner came loose, luckily I was able to catch it in time.. I'd check it out ASAP before it jumps timing

·
...550WHP Club...
3,049 Posts
sounds exactly like my car. I had a bearing in my tranny crack and it was rattling around in there.

·
Juju 'n JRod
115 Posts
my spun #1 bearing sounded like a ticking at first. . . sounded like stuck tappets.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My car made that noise and drove me nuts. I finally had Ray check it out and it ended up being the pulley on the timing belt tensioner came loose, luckily I was able to catch it in time.. I'd check it out ASAP before it jumps timing
This would be my bet. Pull your timing belt covers right away and see if the belt is really loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts