Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bone stock 1992 Dodge stealth RT turbo I was wondering if there was anyway to convert my OBD1 to a OBD2 and if I converted it to OBD2 would I be able to tune and scan through the OBD2

·
Registered
221 Posts
Chrome ECU will probably be your easiest route.

There is a seller on here, Blackstealth that has a conversion setup also. Hopefully he can chime in or you can message him for more details too.

·
Still Posting Novels >>>
697 Posts
You've got a couple options to convert to OBD2, but tuning is not quite as simple on this platform as it is elsewhere. My BMW for example can be flashed with a cheap cable and companies like XHP and MHD offer plenty of off-the-shelf tunes. You'll find nothing like that on this platform. That said, on with the show:

If you just want logging, BlackStealth makes a MUT to OBD2 CANBUS convertor so you can plug it into your '92 and it will output OBD2 for logging with Torque on Android/iOS. It also accepts additional inputs for wideband/boost/etc. You can find it in the for sale section of these forums. With this, tuning is relegated to piggybacks but there's plenty of potential to be had.

For tuning and logging you can either swap to a Chrome ECU (sold at 3SX) for easy plug and play OBD2 logging and tuning, or get/make a harness to swap in a '99 ECU, and code it for similar functionality. I'd suggest Chrome personally as it will come pre-configured for your car and it's straight plug and play, but if you're willing to dabble in wiring and wait for deals the '99 retrofit will likely be cheaper. You'll be running Chrome in either case which opens up far more options than a simple piggyback such as launch control, ECU controlled boost, larger injector control (E85), and the additional built in safeties of the stock ECU.

You'll still need something to log important information, like EvoScan for PC or BlackStealth's convertor though, and you'll need a laptop PC and an Openport 2.0 cable to tune with ECUflash. Unless you're taking it to a dyno or street tuner, you'll be doing all the tuning yourself. The learning curve is a bit steep if you've never delved into it before, but all the information is readily available including a guide on our sister site 3SGTO from the maker of Chrome. Information from the Evo community is also relevant, and Merlin's Flash Guide has lots of good information.

Well, I think I've rambled enough; best of luck in whatever you choose.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,219 Posts
Great response above. Here's my thread on using blackstealth's CANBUS converter, which i do highly recommend if you want allt he datalogging capabilties but dont need a flashable ECU. Datalogging using Torque Pro App and BlackStealth’s OBD1...

Also @Melbowski i run both MHD and XHP on my 335i so was nice seeing that mentioned over here on 3si lol :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts