Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This will be stickied... just need to find the appropriate place.
If you think it is sticky worthy, that is great. I would be honored to have a sticky thread. Thanks

This thread is nuts!!!

I did my own version of this but Wow !! Props to you ��
Thanks, I would be interested in seeing yours also, just to cross reference mine to make sure it is mostly right. If it is a file on your computer that is. I originally wrote all this down, I only copied it to the computer to keep it safer. Without this list, my car wouldn't go back together.

Awesome reference info, thanks! must print a copy of this now!
Thanks, glad it can be of some use.

Damn dude that's impressive. Got an Excel of all this I can get? Easier as I'm sure you know.
You know what, I don't have an Excel file, lol. With how much info this was, I was mainly concerned with typing it all up as fast, and for me, that just involved using notepad.

Just went through your albums...Impressive, even more impress is all the powerdercoating you did.
What no pics of all the nuts/bolts AFTER they were all re-plated
Thanks, this is my 2nd big build and I am really hoping to take my car to the next level this time around. With your fab skills, I am surprised to see that you haven't started coating yet. You make some awesome parts for these cars and your car is one of the cleanest I have seen.

I have a couple of pics of the finished bolts floating around on the other site, but here are some:

The grey tub of bolts weighed over 90lbs.

·
Premium Member
11,904 Posts
I'm going to have to do this also with my Spyder as it's all apart and I already cleaned all the nut/bolts. Just need to get them re-finished. Think I found a place local that can do it. What plating did you get? I "think" most brackets were Zinc plated (yellow tint) but not sure.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm going to have to do this also with my Spyder as it's all apart and I already cleaned all the nut/bolts. Just need to get them re-finished. Think I found a place local that can do it. What plating did you get? I "think" most brackets were Zinc plated (yellow tint) but not sure.
I had them plated with zinc and a clear chromate or black chromate, then baked to relieve any chances of hydrogen embrittlement happening. I prepped them by first cleaning in an ultrasonic cleaner along & simple green extreme. Then I soda blasted every single one. That was a looooong process and I went through 40lbs of baking soda. It is surprising what just soda blasting the bolts will do. It will not get rid of rust, but it cleans the bolts up amazingly. I didn't use a fancy soda blaster btw, I just used my sandblasting gun with the feed hose poked into the baking soda. The platers have their own dip for removing previous platings and rust.

·
One fix at a time
7,821 Posts
How long did it take you to put together that list? Kudos. I'm glad you had a good reason to keep going with it. That's a lot of work. I'd love to have all of the bolts on my car replated. That would involve taking them off though because I only have maybe a gallon of spare bolts from other parts cars.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Excellent work to record this & make it available.
Many thanks I have saved the lot just in case.
Just wish I knew where everything goes & OEM part no's were more easily accessible.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How long did it take you to put together that list? Kudos. I'm glad you had a good reason to keep going with it. That's a lot of work. I'd love to have all of the bolts on my car replated. That would involve taking them off though because I only have maybe a gallon of spare bolts from other parts cars.
I spent about a month working on it a couple of hours every night. It was definitely a lot of work. Probably the biggest single project I have done on my car. If I had a running car that was assembled, I would have tackled it in a different way. I would have ordered the equipment to plate myself from Caswell plating and done small batches at a time. It was VERY stressful to have every fastener out of the car at once and then hand them over to a shop. Unfortunately, I believe that some of the fasteners were lost in the process, but I am not 100% done sorting yet so I hope they turn up. I really considered doing them myself with the Caswell kit but decided to get them all done in one shot since the car was disassembled so much.

Excellent work to record this & make it available.
Many thanks I have saved the lot just in case.
Just wish I knew where everything goes & OEM part no's were more easily accessible.
Your welcome, With this list, and the pictures, and ASA, and a LOT of time, a complete list with part numbers and locations could be done. I just don't have the time or energy for it currently. Maybe when my car is done... maybe.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,781 Posts
Shame you don't have thread size. I need replacement bolts for the rear turbo to ic pipe bolt and ic pipe to plenum bolt.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Shame you don't have thread size. I need replacement bolts for the rear turbo to ic pipe bolt and ic pipe to plenum bolt.
yes shame could be a great list.

I feel the list is not very usefull without the most important specs of the bolts ie. thread size(m4,m5,m6etc.) and pitch..

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,781 Posts
1 BOLT - PHILLIPS - CW/LW - 14.89MM LONG X 11.83MM WIDE - CLEAR

1 BOLT - CLW - 12MM - G4 - 19.46MM LONG X 13.85MM WIDE - CLEAR

Which of these is the bolt that holds the coil pack bracket to the head? I managed to have mine run away somehow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
1 BOLT - PHILLIPS - CW/LW - 14.89MM LONG X 11.83MM WIDE - CLEAR

Which of these is the bolt that holds the coil pack bracket to the head? I managed to have mine run away somehow.

I'm pretty sure this bolt:

is the one that secures the coil pack to the head. Unfortunately, I no longer remember why I didn't list 2 bolts because that is how many hold the coil pack onto the head.

I believe the philips "bolt" mentioned is the one that holds the small little capacitor looking thing to the face of the coil pack.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,781 Posts
Do you know the pitch of the thread, so I can go grab one from Lowes? would have been great if there was thread pitch listed for everything lol

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Do you know the pitch of the thread, so I can go grab one from Lowes? would have been great if there was thread pitch listed for everything lol

Unfortunately no, I don't. I agree that actual bolt specs would have made this list a whole lot more useful, but it would have been overkill for what my purposes was.

I do know that nearly all of the bolts that thread into the head use the same thread diameter and pitch. You could pull out a bolt somewhere from somewhere else, test it in the coil pack hole, and then match it up with a bolt from a hardware store.

OR

I just looked it up on Mitsubishi ASA and it looks like the 3 bolts that hold the coil pack on are:

Front of head: MF140645
Side of head (most rearward bolt): MF140649
Side of head (lower bolt): MF140724

You could always order them from Cherry hill or your local Mitsubishi dealer if you want to stay with OEM.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts