Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Why does everyone argue?
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just dug up my other half set (12) lifters from my VR-4. I changed these out with the newer style a while back when I did a bunch of maintenance. They DO NOT tick, I just wanted peice-of-mind when I already had the half the engine apart. I sold the other half set about 3 months ago, and have had no complaints about them. These lifters have 35K miles on them, and have been cleaned and bled, ready to go. from a 95 VR-4. I got 100 for the last half set, so same applies here. Remember, these things cost over 20$ EACH new! thats over a 50% savings!

·
3,802 Posts
Will they fit in a N/A? How difficult are they to change?
Thanks,

·
Why does everyone argue?
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, they will fit in a turbo or a non-turbo, as long as it's DOHC. they are easy to change, all you need is a screwdriver bent a certain way to compress the valve spring.

·
3,802 Posts
I assume that you have to take the plenum off to get to the back ones? Are the front ones under the valve cover?

·
Why does everyone argue?
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
plenum and valve cover to get to back ones, just valve cover to get to fronts.

·
3,802 Posts
I actually have to go right now, but hold on to them til I get back to you tomorrow (in case you get some other bites).
Thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
what exactly is a lifter ??

I've seen posts about lifter tick and now I'm hearing what I expect is soft ticking (occasional) from the lifters. They're under the plenum ?? What do they do ?

·
Why does everyone argue?
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they are under the valve covers, connected to each valve. what they do is fill up with oil, and cushion the valve opening and closing as the lobe on the cam moves. when they wear out, the check bball inside them wears out and they begin to compress themselves instead of cushion and refill. what you hear is the lifter being clacked open instead of the valve, which can also result in lower power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts