Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 92 stealth r/t with what sounds like a noisy valve or lifter. I started to tear it down and got the covers off, the timing belt and water pump out because I wanted to replace those parts anyway but have yet to find anything that would make the noise. The lash adjusters are all tight and rocker arms and cam look OK. Everything looks in order. The compression is all at about 150, the plugs were burning fine. The noise does not show up when the engine is cranked, only when it is running. It is a loud ticking sound in the beat like one of the valves but I could not pinpoint it while it was running. The car has 110,000 miles but everything looks good. Do you have any idea's?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My 91 vr4 has a noise like that and im convinced that its the injectors.think so? they can be awful noisy......Mark

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
noise from the lifters are common as the milage increases with these cars. Every once and a while I can hear mine ticking, but not REAL noticable.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey! You may check the timming belt adjuster, mine was leaked and it made a constant tapping noise when running. Hope this helps.
Don94

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Don, I will change the adjuster but the sound was a loud tick that DID NOT GO AWAY. Many people have said it was the lash adjuster and they had the same noise but also said that it would go away. Your idea sounds possible I just did not expect that type of noise from the tensioner. My tensioner was out more than the alowable limit so I wanted to change it anyway. I just hate to put the thing back together without finding that noise. It is too loud to ignore. Did you say that your tensioner made a constant loud tick at the speed of the engine. Did changing the tensioner fix it or did you change anything else also?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At first, I thought it was the water pump but then I took off the timming cover I realized that the noise is somewhere under the waterpump, when all the timming cover were off the suspect is right there(Auto- adjuster), it was leaking though. After I replace it with a new one, the problem has been solved. Now my car is so quiet and smoothly, there is no more loud constant ticking noise except the tick tick tick from those damn litfers which only last for about 30 seconds when I start the car first time in the morning. Good luck to you.
Don94

1 - 6 of 6 Posts