Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i start my car in the early morning(usually around 3am and 30 to 40 degrees outside) it makes a little rattle from under the hood. After a second or so it stops and then sounds fine. It does this when it is warmer out as well but not as bad and not as often. I've been told my starter is going bad. What do you guys think? If so how much do they run ya?

·
Registered
261 Posts
i have something similar...

mine gives a little pop from right under the engine...im not sure if it is my starter or what. but it does it really intermittently. i would also like to know what this could/would be.

cheers,

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
It might be your timing belt. Mine was doing that, and I got all my belts replaced when I had my underdrive pulley put on, and no more noises.

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
god i hope not. I've had all my 60k maintenence already done. Do you think that i will still need to replace any other belts?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If it's a metallic rattling sound it's most likely the starter not disengaging properly ---- mine does the same thing. After starting the starter rattles/grinds for a second or two and then releases.

Jim Berry

·
Registered
261 Posts
not timing belt im pretty sure...

my timing belt only has like 7k miles on it, so i dont think that that is it. the rattling sound that fastmax is describing has to do with the flywheel if i am not mistaken. after a couple of cranks it goes away. my noise which sounds like a mini backfire up by the downpipe probably has something do to with my ignition system. i am using splitfire platinum plugs at the moment, and i think they arent doing too well. shouldnt have used the damn things in first place anyway.
ill keep yall posted on how it goes.

cheers,

·
Registered
281 Posts
umm...

Firestorm if you drive your car for a while, then shut it off and start it back up does it make the noise still? My car sounds a little ruff when you first start it up but when you drive it for a while and then shut it off and start it back up its ok. My car only makes the sound when you start the car up and it hasnt been running for a while.

·
Registered
281 Posts
starter

Also, if it is the starter, is it a big deal that it is doing this? I obviously know that if it is the starter than it needs to be replaced but will it hurt anything but not replacing the starter immediately?

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah this noise eventually goes away. I haven't tried to drive it for awhile and then shut off and start back up. But it goes away after driving for a lil. I'm pretty sure its the starter and no its not any big deal. I'm gonna get it fixed because i don't want it to not start one morning when i have to go to work. But i don't think its that big of a problem

·
Registered
79 Posts
Push in your clutch pedal and see if the noise goes away with it engaged. My car makes a squelching sound when its cold until I engage the clutch. I think it might be the throw out bearing. My 2 cents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts