Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I’m looking for help identifying a humming noise coming from the engine bay when accelerating. The noise isn’t present during full throttle, only occurs under light to medium throttle. Car is a 91 Dodge Stealth r/t tt. I’ve attached a couple video links so you can hear it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 92.. with a similar sound - are you referring to the "owl" sound.. like "hoooo..."? I'm getting my vacuum lines checked as well as the BOV to see if this cures it. There is a chat about it if you search "owl sound"

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,112 Posts
If it sounds like a owl "hooting" it's the BOV that has failed after ONLY 29 years, LOL.
I've been around for a LONG time (yeah, I'm old!!) and I can't say that any of the 3S's I've seen at the dozens of gatherings I've been to STILL have the original BOV.

Bob.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I haven't brought it in for the service yet - but it does look like a previous owner pulled the reduction plug and re-zip tied the vacuum lines - but all looks tight and well done. I'm sure a vacuum test will see - but it must be an issue - I'm getting some boggy perf' in first gear, then it'll shoot straight to 14psi in second.. (??)

And Hey Bob! Do you have a replacement BOV recomendation? ...is this the sorta thing you can get at a dealer, or is it a hunt?

·
13,112 Posts
It all depends on your budget.
High price items are HKS and Greddy and Tial.

You can find those and knock offs on Ebay.

I personally run 2 knock off Tials in my cars, but I used to have a Greddy S, that I gifted to my oldest son (sue me, I love my 3 boys!!!)

Bob.

·
13,112 Posts
Just to add, a poorly done Vac reduction can cause a plethora of issues...

Bob.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,000 Posts
Least expensive options also include 1G DSM and EVO metal units; the latter is PnP without a flange adapter. It sounds like a pressure test is definitely in order though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I see BOVs range from like $80 - $300 - I saw the Greddy on 3sx Perf site - I'm good either $ way as this sounds quite important - SO, newb question supreme - what's the difference.. you can say "quality" and I get that, but at a point brand nudges the price a bit - you have $300, what you're pick and why?

·
13,112 Posts
Not sure what you ordered, but chances are you will need an adaptor (flange) and possibly a section of hosing and a plug.
It's been so long since I've had a stock Y pipe and the original BOV, but I know in both of my TT cars the original BOV location is plugged (in my case with an old D size battery).
And then the new BOV is located at the end of a new piece of radiator hosing.
I am running an open to air setup in both my cars (instead of the closed loop original BOV).

Sounds a big complicated, but it's not. Plenty of pictures out there with people showing off their BOV setups...

Biob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info Bob. I purchased the Greddy type rs, 1.25” flange and block off plug.

·
13,112 Posts
FWIW, I went to my local Advanced and the desk guy let me look through the radiator hoses they had and both times I picked a suitable one.
Had to cut it to length, but good to go...

Good Luck with the install!

Bob.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm glad seeing a lot of people already share their ideas. Actually, I encountered the same problem as you. I repair cars, and for me, all the ideas and suggestions that everyone showed were effective. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the Bov in and installed it, fixed the issue and works great! I also did the vacuum reduction mod which cleaned the engine bay up nicely! While I had things removed, I checked the rear turbo and discovered quite a bit shaft play. I ordered a new cartridge put everything back together and the car runs amazing. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FYI - (Newb mistake!) I ordered the Greddy Type FV BOV, and the 1.25" block off plug - but mechanic called today - I forgot to order the flange! So, if you are doing the same - and you have a 1992 Turbo like me, you'll also need flange part #11900451 - found easy on amazon. So, hopefully my parallel experience will be over next week - along with brakes and rotor and springs :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FYI - (Newb mistake!) I ordered the Greddy Type FV BOV, and the 1.25" block off plug - but mechanic called today - I forgot to order the flange! So, if you are doing the same - and you have a 1992 Turbo like me, you'll also need flange part #11900451 - found easy on amazon. So, hopefully my parallel experience will be over next week - along with brakes and rotor and springs :)
Luckily I did order the flange with mine! In process of changing the timing belt, water pump, and all gaskets. :confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, hope it's cool to post an update here - got the all clear from my mechanic. Greddy BOV is in and done clean with a cool location and more quiet solution to the block-off plug. No more owl hoots here - just clean steady boost, no leaks - here's a shot of the engine bay after getting it home..

Shout out to Matt and Ring Hill Motors in Woodinville, WA for an awesome job getting it all in and for addressing anything possibly problematish. Just flipped 158000 and all is super smooth. He also did cross drilled rotors and Tein Springs..

..the stance is awesome now.. but. I also notice that I want the wheels to stick out about an inch or so more. As soon as my 2gen calipers arrive, my Enki Kojin 18's go on :)

Anyhow, glad we can jive on solutions and share here! Here's one last shot of the location and install of the new BOV...

-Eric

1 - 20 of 21 Posts