Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I’ve got a noise coming from the timing belt area that I need some help with (2 videos attached).
Car is a 1991 stealth tt. Just recently did the timing belt, tensioner, pulleys and water pump, noise was present before I did this job also. It doesn’t do it when the engine is cold, only when warmed up. I think it might be the tensioner pulley bracket rattling since it had a little play in it, but wanted some feedback before I start ordering unnecessary parts.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,111 Posts
I would take some of the advice given in this recent thread about noise and use a stethoscope to help narrow down / isolate the source:

Can you guys take a look at this video and post opinions about the noises in it? <<

Out of curiosity, can you explain your approach with setting the timing? Were you following the FSM for steps and torque specifications, one of the videos online, and/or one of the writeups? Just trying to gather if anything might have been missed depending on what you were referencing during the job.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I’ll give it a read.
I used the service manual to set timing, made sure tension was good with the hydraulic tensioner by letting it sit overnight, even checked it twice after that. Belt is tight after I turn the car off, looses up a little bit after sitting.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,111 Posts
Cool 👍 great to know!

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
I'd pull the power steering belt and see if it's still there...as a step 1.
It's clearly rotational and rpm dependent.

Edit: I was focused on the whine.

What brand parts did you use? Should only use OEM for this job, or something proven like Gates.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts