Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
AdamVR4 said:
Hahaha, that was a pretty lame question! ;)

I welded my center diff. That allows me to take off my driveshaft and t-case and run FWD with no ill-effects.
You have to realise that I haven't been following your NoCar TCase's progress and when I see you doing a burnout front wheels only, I can only assume. (yes yes, I know what that is) I personally dont work on my car so all the tech talk you guys ramble on with goes straight past me. I do like to read it tho in the hopes that one day I may understand you. :D

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
talskinyguy said:
Im really wondering this myself

When you make a turn, the outside and inside wheels turn a different radius and thats taken care of by the diffs in the trans and the rear. I would think the only time you would have an issue with a locked center coupler is if the front and back wheels try to rotate a different speed like on limited traction surfaces. We wouldn't get the ability to transfer torque to the wheels that have traction, so all four would spin or none, but I dont know how that would cause hopping of any kind.

Sam

·
High-Fivin BAMF
3,639 Posts
In limited traction is where you dont hop. When all 4 wheels have traction and you have a locked center diff the car will generally hop, regardless of if you have open diffs in the axles.

My truck has a "locked" center diff and if I put it in 4wd and try to turn the front hops if I have traction. If I dont have traction the one tire that needs to spin faster in order to turn will do just that.

·
Registered
17,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
talskinyguy said:
In limited traction is where you dont hop. When all 4 wheels have traction and you have a locked center diff the car will generally hop, regardless of if you have open diffs in the axles.

My truck has a "locked" center diff and if I put it in 4wd and try to turn the front hops if I have traction. If I dont have traction the one tire that needs to spin faster in order to turn will do just that.

Yeah, it tight radius turns, my wheels do hop.

In a straight line though? No... Not usually. They only hop when the front tires spin. If I could slip the clutch to the point that the front tires didn't spin, the car wouldn't hop at all.

·
Registered
17,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
talskinyguy said:
Im really wondering this myself

I don't really push it in turns because I'm a girl. I never have in the past and I don't plan to in the future.

With the center diff welded, I did take a turn at 140 mph (that I should have taken at around 100, I guess) and light up all 4 drag radials... The ass end tried to slide out a little, but I was able to keep her going pretty smoothly. All in all, the only time I notice the CD being locked is when I'm backing out of my driveway, putzing around in parking slots, or making u-turns.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,058 Posts
I thought it was common knowledge ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reviving this post we could use the specs on the 25 spline transfer case does ANYONE know the specs if you were to do a rebuild ground up? Adam it seems you were able to identify all the parts you needed. Could you please post them? Any bits and pieces or the whole shabang would be amazing.

·
Premium Member
6,889 Posts
Reviving this post we could use the specs on the 25 spline transfer case does ANYONE know the specs if you were to do a rebuild ground up? Adam it seems you were able to identify all the parts you needed. Could you please post them? Any bits and pieces or the whole shabang would be amazing.
Trying to figure out what it is you want to know... This thread is 14 years old, and many of the participants haven't been here for years. If you want a billet case just contact Chris at Rvenge Performance. Mark's design is a very nice one. (and readily available)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trying to figure out most the measurements for the internals of the transfer case. I have a 93 Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR-4 and my Transfer Case cracked. I won't pretend I know a ton about fixing it at this stage. Could you give me a link to where Mark made his build available and I'll head over to Rvenge Performance and try to contact Chris as well. Your response is much appreciated by the way.

·
Premium Member
6,889 Posts
Trying to figure out most the measurements for the internals of the transfer case. I have a 93 Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR-4 and my Transfer Case cracked. I won't pretend I know a ton about fixing it at this stage. Could you give me a link to where Mark made his build available and I'll head over to Rvenge Performance and try to contact Chris as well. Your response is much appreciated by the way.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,111 Posts
While I do appreciate old threads such as this... how in the hell does someone manage to come across it and have the ability to necro bump? lol

17,276 Posts
We have plenty of cores in stock we can build for you. We do have plenty of perfect stock cases, but if yours is cracked it may have other internal damage, such as the gears. We can do $699.99 shipped on a fully rebuild, new spool, resealed, perfectly setup 25 spline t-case, including one of our good cores.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts