Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
17,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finished up my car today.

NoCar's 7075 T-Case housing is absolutely stunning. It was great showing it off to friends.

The install was flawless. I removed the debris cover (exposing the flywheel) thinking that it was in the way, but at this point I'm not sure.

Here's how we shimmed my new t-case:
As there had been stock, I placed 3 shims under the inner race. We had 3 shims to play with to set the outer race.

3 was too much. We could tell this immediately because the GETRAG cover spun freely on the bearing of the gear.

If you attempted to tighten the cover, the bearing would no longer turn by hand.

2 of one combination of the 3 was too much.

1 was too loose. We could tell this by literally shaking the housing and listening for a clicking sound.

2 of one of the combination of the 3 seemed to be pretty good. When moving the spool and the t-case output shaft, we could hear them "click". According to Kormex this is only a bad thing if the gears are wet (our gears were very dry and clean, the bearings were lubricated with Mobile1 15-50 synthetic - ha, I was out of redline that night, okay? It felt fine to us. We didn't actually measure the backlash, however.

Anyway, the t-case went together perfectly and I decided to put a small brace on it designed to keep the mid section from ripping off NoCar's 7075 housing. It's very basic. I didn't want anything that wasn't easilly made (Time was not my friend this week).

The case sure held a lot of Redline Shockproof Heavy :)

I drove it around the block at low speed, low rpm just to ensure it was lubricated well before trying anything. Everything was perfect. I launched the car, it launched very cleanly. No wheel hop at all, no tire spin.

So I went to the track tonight. My favorite track, San Antonio Raceway didn't hold a TNT Friday, Saturday, or Sunday this week, so I decided to try Temple Academy. Wow, what a shit hole track. Some dude slammed on my hood twice to get my attention (When I was sitting there with my window down and the car idling). The track felt like more like street racing. Seriously, the roads around my house are better tracks.

Anyway, enough building of the scene I guess.

First pass,
after doing a "burn out" launch, (and going completely sideways)
12.2x @ 103
I launched at 3500 rpm, slipped the clutch some
This netted me a 1.9x 60'
I shifted slow as balls on purpose, ran 1.2 bar and slammed the brakes before the traps - haha

2nd pass, after another "burn out"
Turn the boost up to 1.7 bar
The launch saw me go sideways...
Spun the tires thru 1st, and half way thru 2nd before my clutch started slipping. What the fuck? It spun all the way through 3rd and the RPM's just held steady at 4800 in 4th. I finally let off after determining that it was the clutch and not tire spin or anything else.

There were apparently sparks visible under the car during the pass.

I tried to adjust the clutch pedal thinking it may have been adjusted too far (I had pretty much maxed it out the last night attempting to achieve better shifting - which it did). It's a 6 puck clutch, I let it sit for 1 hour before making another pass.

I put on the drag radials at this point.

Did a "burn out" and cut my best 60' of the night... 1.79. Clutch gone after 1st gear.

There were apparently sparks visible under the car during the pass.

I took the car out on the highway, a little pissed. Mash it in 1st, nail 2nd. The clutch didn't seem to slip.

Going thru 2nd gear, a little knock. I pulled some timing.

3rd gear, no knock, damn this car is scary fast sometimes :D

Let's adjust the clutch a bit more and hope. The t-case has looked perfect under the car all night.

Launch again, go totally sideways thru 1st, ride the rev limitter in 2nd waiting for traction and shift to 3rd - clutch slips like a bitch in 3rd. I let off and coast... A little before the traps I punch the gas in 3rd at around 2800 rpm's and wait for boost, once boost builds a bit I feel the scariest shit my car has ever done. The front shook violently. I actually expected to see oil coating the windshield.

More sparks under the car during this pass.

A quick visual of the engine bay told me my pistons were fine, haha.

The car ran fine after I drove back to the staging lanes. I took Mario (marium3kgt) for a ride, fuck it, I want to enjoy the car.

WOT thru 1st, everything is fun.
Shift into 2nd, and the car started shaking violently.

Everything under the car looks perfect. The support brace for the drivers side axle is secured. Nothing is visibly loose. The driveshaft appears in tact. Nothing is even leaking.

I have no idea what failed. The clutch is fucking up so I'll be dropping the transmission. This is an RPS 6-puck with like 900 total miles on it. Everything was resurfaced and the install was very clean. I even broke it in for a few hundred miles. When I take the tranny out, I'm hoping to find a pressure plate failure of some sort.

The transfer case appears to be perfect and I feel very confident with it. Sorry I didn't get to very properly test them Sean. I'll be back at the track ASAP. I'm NEVER going to Temple Academy

http://www.templeacademy.com

again. SAR and HRP made this track look like something out of a nightmare.

Sorry for the long post,

Sean, you're absolutely the shit. This case is so awesome. I can't wait to go back because I'm so confident it will take anything I throw at it.

·
Bored User
1992 Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
1,146 Posts
Long posts are appreciated, ESPECIALLY when it's about that transfer case main housing. I never even knew you were getting one. Is there a thread on it? I'm bored and want to read. :)

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hey man, we warned you about the track.

It's worse than the street in some ways.

Good job on the tcase testing.

-Russell

·
Registered
632 Posts
The world is a happier place. Since lots of guys are gonna be coming out with evo16g setups and based upon adams results, this should prove that we need to man up in the clutch department. So maybe that group buy to get some tilton's made will actually have enough supporters to make it happen! Lalala Havn't been this optomistic in a while.

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
holy shit.

i dindt even know you were getting 1. good luck with the clutch.

·
Since May 2002
5,592 Posts
Sorry about the piss luck at the track man....and for having to drop the trans again....but I guess for you that's like doing an oil change. Hopefully it's not too bad, and if it is, hopefully RPS gives you a new clutch, cause under 1000 miles is retarded.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Sucks on the problems man. Like Eric said, you and dropping shit though is like changing oil for the rest of us mere mortals. :p I know you can put a serious hurt on that t-case when you get the chance! I'll bet it will take it all too. It looks beautiful! Makes me want to cry. :cry: hehehe

·
I <3 BoosTT
1,440 Posts
See, I thought I was a badass blowing up my t-case, but now seeing everythign I f***ed up with it im scared to have a strong t-case cause if the t-case didnt take the brunt of the force how much other crap would i have destroyed on my car.

p.s. you still owe me a "luv you long time"

·
Premium Member
9,058 Posts
good feedback adam, I bet it's nice to be able to go out and romp on the car without fear again. keep me in the loop on that vibration because I'm having the same problem, only in 3rd gear and only under high boost (~ 30) at 20psi I have no problems.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Adam,
Thank you. You got everything together and got it to the track that is some true progress man. Everyone should be thankful for your efforts.

POP QUIZ!!

1. Did it go on the car and clear the oil pan?
2. Were the holes for the dowels in the bellhousing a good fit on the unit? I have only had my car to check this on.
3. Looks like I told you to get bolts that were longer than needed. Did you have to cut them down a bit? I see that one goes thru the bellhousing.
4. From the sounds of your post the new case seems to hold more fluid? If so I do think that would be cool.
5. Are you absolutlyforking SURE that the problems you are having now are NOT related to the X-case?
6. Did you have an clearance problems with exhaust or anything after getting everything put back together?
7. Sound while driving around? Any increase / decrease in drivetrain noise while using the X-case?
8. Ground clearance on your car? Is it hanging too low for your taste?

Things to note.
1. Yep you did the right thing by removing the clutch cover. I will at some point need one of these. The part is missing from my car. So I was unable to fit for it. I could see it might be a problem in the service manual but I figured just to get some testing that for now I would leave the design alone (save the changes I made for the oilpan).
2. I am VERY thankful as should be everyone that you took the time to post up all the information and pictures you did. Not to mention putting your car, parts and SELF on the line to test my part.
3. Anyone you have shown the part to is welcome to post up impressions and thoughts as well.
4. I am thinking you are on the right track with the clutch. Given that you don't have the clutch cover on at the moment if something is going crazy in the clutch housing you would see the sparks flying out under the car since there is nothing to hold that stuff in. I wonder if something clutch related was damaged partly when your last case let loose.
5. In my gut I wonder if the vibration you and Mellon are getting is due to the driveshaft getting "funny" under the mega load and shaft speed with the car on high boost in 3rd gear. IMHO if the driveshaft is going to be a problem it would show at a point of (high load + high shaft speed).
6. That sunshine in your 7th pic was totally uncalled for... It is snowed here at some point AM today...

Now I will try and respond a bit to some of the other posts coming in.
Adam was chosen by me for the following reasons.
A) A well tuned powerfull car.
B) Adam is a track whore.
C) He knows how to work on his car.
D) His location is ideal. They can play year round in Texas.
E) Adam is close to a lot of active members for support on parts and such.
F) Adam did a fine job of keeping silent till after track day.
G) He has what I believe to be the right attitude. Adam like Mellon and many other GREAT members tries to help nOObs like me when he can.
H) Adam is NOT affiliated with any shop that might sell these parts someday. I feel that whatever review of the part he gives will be honest, straight and unbiased.

To be honest we are now going out into uncharted water. Those that wonder what will break next have a valid worry. However, if we all sit around and worry about what might break if we try and fix something we will be sitting in the garage for a long time. Be thankful we have folks like Adam and Ray that don't want to be stuck in the garage.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am feeling pretty good right now. The part went to the track, it came home holding fluid. In spite of the problems Adam has suffered on his first test I don't feel this to be a project setback.

We may find new problems if the X-case proves to be a solution for the weakass stock unit. Me, I think finding those problems _IS_ progress.

:rock: :headbang: :cool: :beer: :bandit:

Best regards,
Sean

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
NoCar said:
We may find new problems if the X-case proves to be a solution for the weakass stock unit. Me, I think finding those problems _IS_ progress.
Totally agree!

NoCar said:
B) Adam is a track whore.
That's an understatement. :p He's a dirty filthy track whore. ;)

·
-
6,786 Posts
Yeah thanks for everything you've done, and I wanna know what's up with your car.

·
No loer a Noob?
2,795 Posts
Glad to see it is in. Have fun with it..

Again - nice work Sean.

jealous ;)

sam

·
I miss my boost.
3,721 Posts
Holy shit. Talk about being blind-sided!

Sean, this has to be one of the best little surprises yet. :)

Adam, thanks so much for the preliminary review.

I can't wait to hear more.

·
Dog Is My Co-Pilot
4,082 Posts
Wow, that thing is gorgeous! After just watching that Mercury Mistress vid again, and then seeing these pics . . . ahh, n/m :eek: :D

I sure hope it's just a clutch problem :)

·
Go Mountaineers!!
13,288 Posts
Good deal Adam. Keep pushing the envelope. :cool:

Jeremy

1 - 20 of 95 Posts