Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys (& gals),

i guess my issue is the spline, but i don't even know what one is. reverse was always a magic trick in my car, i just assumed it was these tricky trannies. apparently though, my gear has moved too far away from the ?? and now reverse doesn't catch at all. it feels like the gear is three millimeters from getting connected. infact, my dad had a FIAT with a blown 4th gear synchro, and the "feel" is identical, but i know there is no reverse synchro.

so my question to y'all is whether or not you have heard of this prob before, and how much it might be to repair. the tranny was a new getrag at 40k, and i just passed 80k. please don't tell me that my tranny is shot. i'll cry.

thanks everbody,

--joshua--

·
Registered
557 Posts
anything internal ,requires a new tranny or complete rebuild :( sorry,don't feel bad mine is not far behind.

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
Hey, if you do have to get a new tranny, go with a 6 speed. Otherwise you can try to rebuild this one. I hate it had to happen though :(

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
How much does it cost to replace a 5spd with a 6spd? I thought you had to replace a few more things, making it not worth the money. Anyone done this before?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shiiit.

well if a rebuild is in order, then i might have a car for sale. there's no chance that i can swing that kind of repair right now along with payments, and insurance. i have already tossed about $4 large into the susp system (Eibach/Gr-2) and tires.

i can't see how this would be an external issue, so i tend to agree with chuck, but can anyone else confirm?

look out for a cheap VR-4 coming soon to a classifieds section near you. i'll never get what i owe, so i'll shoot for what i can get.

piece,

--jec--

1 - 5 of 5 Posts